Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horny Schroeder Mini+ ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ken FenderJazz, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I'm finally replacing the old biamped, rack mounted, power amp heavy rig. I want to give my back a break, and move out of the '80s, the last time I played very much.

So I found a Schroeder Mini 12+ used at the local GC. Couldn't believe they had one! I happily plugged a Jazz into a SWR 550 and into this cabinet. Wow, it was awesome how much sound would come out of that little cabinet, and how good that sound was!

The only negative I noticed about it came when I started popping on the G string pretty hard. The horn just blew my ears out. Yes, a good compressor, or a lighter touch is what I would normally use, but this worried me a little bit.

Does anybody else think the tweeters on these sound a little, well, horny? Or was I perhaps distorting? The knob on the 550 was only at 12 o'clock, I certainly wasn't pushing it hard, and no limiter lights were blinking.

Thanks, I'm sure you all have opinions :)

ken

2. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    There's a knob on back of the Mini that will turn the tweeter down.

3. Yes yes, but the problem I am having is that the high end just maybe doesn't sound good on this cab. I tried an Epifani 10" with tweeter (sorry, can't remember model #), and it seemed more smooth on the high end.

In fact, everyone, including me, talks about the low end and scooped mids on cabs, but nobody really mentions the high end very much. Does anyone have an opinion which cabs have the best, smoothest high end vs something harsh, too in-your-face?

ken

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, the stock Schroeder P-Audio tweeter gets mentioned positively in that regard quite frequently. Make me wonder if that cab has the optional, "more aggressive" Selenium one? The stock tweeter is really not very in your face at all by most people's standards. Just out of curiousity, where did you have the tweeter control turned up to on the cab?

The other obvious factor to consider is the SWR amp. Did you try any other cabs with it? I have no experience with the Mini 12+, but the tweeter in my 1210 is very smooth and organic sounding, IMHO.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    awesome! buy it! :)

6. The Epifani sounded smoother on the SWR.

Good point about the tweeter, I wonder if there is a way to tell, I never had the knob over halfway.

7. I would assume it's the 'stock' tweeter. I can imagine if you had the tweeter attenuator on 'half way' that the tweeter probably overwhelmed that little cab. While I do have the more aggressive tweeter in my 1210 and 1212, I can't imagine having the attenuator much past 9 o'clock (3/4 cut), and I really like some zing in my sound.

That being said, per your comments above, I agree that the Epifani crossover is a thing of beauty and sounds very 'seemless' to me... a very nice transition between the upper mids and treble. The Schroeder's (at least the two that I have) have a little bit more of a 'tweeter sitting on top of the cab' sound going... in other words, there does seems to be some space (especially with the 1212) between where the cabs upper mids attenuate and the tweeter kicks in. I would assume if you turn the tweeter up too much, especially on the very small mini's, that it would quickly overwhelm the sound.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    That cab was Steve Dokkens 12+. He also has a 1210 that he uses all the time and just never needed the extra cab for any of his studio or live work. If your in IN you might know Dokken, he is the top or one of the top studio guys in IN, he also plays out a bit.

Best of luck with the purchase and tell Dave Howells to treat you right ;)

9. Dawg - I just subbed for him at a church gig last month! When I mentioned I was thinking of buying a Schroeder, he pulled the 12+ and AI amp out of his trunk. Very impressive, thought I. It was late and we didn't go plug it in. I asked at GC and they said somebody used it for acoustic guitar, but I thought it was too much of a concidence. I'll have to give Steve a call. I wish he would have called *me*, but that's the bad thing about subbing - do your thing, you're outathere, and you never even talk too much to the subbee.

Oh yeah, so you know, Steve recommended I should buy one from you. If I end up getting a new one, I probably will.:)

ken