Horrible Chip... What Am I Gonna Do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saorex, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys.

This morning I woke up, and like many mornings before I felt like practicing a bit. So I took my LTD F-255 out of her case, put the strap on my shoulder and: "BAM!" The strap got out of the pin and my bass fell directly on the side of my bed... A horrible moment in my life I must say. Now it has a huge and deep chip (if I can call it that way), about one inch long and 1/2" wide at some places. I took some pictures and sent them to my luthier. I'm waiting for his answer.

I'd like to know what you guys think of all. I'm ready to pay for any reparation that has to be done. I just still don't know what will have to be done. Here's the link to the 3 pictures I took. Please give your comments...

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    ever considered straplocks?
  3. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I know that... I just didn't think about buying some. And right now is too late. Sure, as soon as this horrible **** is repaired, I'll add straplocks to it. But again, it's too late now.

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yeah, not fun when that happens, but you know that to the next time.
    but imo, straplocks should be a standard on all basses. :)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Meh, i say let it be, unless its like flaking and the finish is ruined.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Straplocks are no guarantee that your bass won't take a header. The screws often pull right out of the bass, or you don't get them attached completely right and they slip out and fall. I use them, but I've also had my bass fall with them, too.

That's a nasty gash that is going to be difficult or impossible to repair without reshooting the whole bass. if it's a polyester finish, you definitely will have to reshoot it to fix it. If it's lacquer, it's possible to fix but extremely difficult to match that unusual finish. But take heart. I don't own a bass where I don't have a gash in that exact spot. Stuff happens and it sucks but it's a fact of life when you own a guitar or bass and use it. Now that you've gotten the first big gash out of the way, you can relax and not worry about it anymore ;)
  7. don't mask it...flaunt it...

chips on your bass show that you care more about making the music than flaunting the gear...

8. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for your good comments guys. PilbaraBass, I must admit my father (an old musician) thinks the same as you do. But I don't want to let it like that because as soon as it will get into my clothes, it will totally tear away. A huge (about 1 inch square) wood spot won't be nice at all. If I had a wood finish, that wouldn't be the same though...

Anyway, if it has to go through a complete reshoot, then ok. I have some money to pay. It's not that I will repaint all scratches and gashes (I already had some and my older bass has a lot), it's just that I really like the finish and "exploding" it like it is now just look terrible.

I'm still waiting for my luthier's answer...
  9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's not in that visible a place (to you when yer playin it, anyway - and it's only really you that is bothered by it, if ya think about it).

I say glue down the loose part with crazy glue and/or touch it up with some matching nail polish, and be done with it.

Remember: The first scratch is the one that gives you an aneurism. The second one don't meant chit. Same with a new car. It's not worth the stress.

NOBODY is gonna see you play and think "Y'know, that cat had mad skillz, but that dent on his bass..."
  10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Ouch. Don't tell me your gunna play that in public. That's a complete refinish right there.
  11. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    forget those metal straplocks, those things are terrible.. get Jim Dunlop ERGO LOK's.. they work on any strap, will let you bass fit in its case and I've never had one fail me in over 4 years of gigging... I can recommend these babies enough..

Just every so often check that the screw in the strap horn is tight in the body of the bass and not working its way out...
  12. A bassist in my church has a beautiful looking Warwick with a big bare-wood spot right near the front pickup...

You know what I think?...I think his bass sounds pretty good, and he's a pretty good bass player.

Play it to death...after about 3 or 4 more of those dings...think about a refin...MAYBE...
  13. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    wise words.. I'd take it to your luthier and just get him to "clean it up" so the paint doesnt chip off and make it worse.. just get him to sand it back a bit so there are no protruding edges and then maybe go over it with a little auto touch up paint... but as the other guy said, the first dint hurts like hell.. after that its "meh"..

my first battlescar on my SR5 made me almost puke with anger at myself.. now I'm "meh" thats my bass with my marks on it...
  14. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I'd also prefer not to through reshoot, but I don't want this gash to stay as horrible as it is now. I just hope my luthier will be able to recolor the small of color that I lost and then even all this ****. A bit of paint would help also... I'll see. But complete reshoot would give me the chance to try a new color! Hehe! I'm still waiting for his answer anyway. I think he's taking his time to think about it.
  15. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Have you considered suicide?
    Seriously though, its a ****ing bass, a material object.
    Unless your house is under 10 feet of water, and your living in a stinkin' stadium with 20000 other people consider yourself lucky.
    Flaunt the dent as a battle scar!
  16. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    You're right, it's only material. But I love music, and I love my basses. I work all ****ing day at a place I don't like... Not to say: "Hey man! I got a lot of money!" But only to buy good instruments, amps and snowboards (my other moments of real liberty in life). I take good care of all my stuff because I want them to last for a long time.

But to make long story short, the main reason why it brakes my heart that much right now is that I broke up with my girldfriend on monday (i had been with her for 4 years), and on tuesday morning I chipped my bass. What a horrible week! I still do my best to take life on the good side and I hope my luthier will do a great job for me. And I'm sure I'll find another great girl someday. But man, loosing both at the same is hard...
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Gives it character IMO.
  18. Yep...get it patched up to look a little better and protect the rest of her...and just bear the battle scar...

I think there's a thread here somewhere about scars...have a look...and put yours in... :)
  19. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hahaha! Yeah, why not? As I said, I don't want my bass to look perfect, but I really can't let it like it is now... I'll show how it looks once repaired. In a couple of weeks I guess. Thanks for your good comments guys!
  20. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    YEAH A RESHOOT would just cost about as much as the bass is worth im sure.

i hate getting dings and what not, but it happens and you just gotta deal with it.