1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horrible feedback when I touch my pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cyprus, Mar 12, 2010.

1. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Hey guys, I have a Mockingbird that had the upper pickups replaced about a year ago (Basslines quarter pounders) and everything was sounding great. But about a month ago, mid practice, there was a squealing noise that came out of nowhere and surprised my band. After looking around and investigating we realized it was coming from my pickups. Every time I would touch the little metal pole thing it would squeal. I tried out different cables and amps, but the result was always the same, it would either squeal, or there was a great amount of feedback, to the point where the limiter on all the amps and di pedals are going off, and I think the speakers are clipping (>.<) I originally thought it was a grounding issue, because it would MOSTLY go away when I touched the strings, or the bridge. I opened it up and looked around for a stray wire or something, but couldn't find anything. :eyebrow:

I decided to get it checked out before I ruined anything. The guy I took it to spent hours looking it over and troubleshooting it, but he couldn't find a thing wrong with it. At this point, both sets of pickups are doing it, but only the upper one in each set. I left it there and he said he'd have a friend look at it.

I went to pick it up today, only to find out that it's still not fixed. He took it to the friend's place and they both soldered, re-soldered, and rewired... you name it, but they couldn't figure out what was causing the problem.:confused:

Right now the only thing I can think of is there's a bad knob or pot.

Help me...? Please...? I miss my baby...
    :crying::crying::crying:

2. That's pretty much normal to have buzzing and noise if you touch ungrounded pole pieces.

Can you ground the pole pieces?

If not, you will need to insulate them so that they cannot be touched.

You can do this with nailpolish or a piece of electrical tape.

3. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Hmm... Nail polish eh?
    Would that affect tone or volume?

4. AFAIK, nailpolish does not have any magnetic properties, so no.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    a strip of black electrical tape also works.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020