Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

horrible gig last night!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ok, so we arrive there early to setup and guess what, the stage is like 2x4 metres to fit a 5 piece heavy rock act that usually includes plenty of movement...

no problem, 2 of us will stand back behind the other 2 and just stand and play... 2nd issue I was told not to bring my amp because there would be one there... guess what, its a 50watt 1x10 roland combo - Yay, I'm not gonna hear sh*t! (our guitarist is using an Orange OR120 halfstack..)

Anyway, so we setup, soundcheck etc and it looks and sounds like we'll be able to pull off an acceptable gig (from a crowd point of view) - I'm basically playing deaf though, sorta squashed in between the wall and the end of the drummers rack with his china right in front of me!

We start playing at about 11 and all is going well, we even get a good crowd response. half way through the show, the PA cuts out, but the guitar amp and drummer are still blaring off the stage, so we just carry on playing and the crowd carries on moshing and going crazy - the singer has no vocals, but the crowd sang the rest of the song for us! :)

At this point I'm thinking, ok well this could be worse I guess... and as if by fate, someone at the front of the stage (in the crowd) who has placed their beer on the PA bass bin, knocks the whole thing onto the guitarist's pedal board!

Bye Bye 1xLine6 Distortion module! No more distortion = no more gig, cause we only have one guitarist and we can't continue without the distortion. And the opening band didn't use distortion, so we can't even borrow a pedal...

Needless to say, the crowd was pissed off and wanted more, but we couldn't do anything except stand around and apologize - if I found that guy in the crowd... :mad:

anyways, hopefully our gig on Sat goes better...

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Why didnt your guitar player just get some distortion out of his amp? Sure, it might not be the kind he likes, or fits the music the best, But I'm sure he could distort a tube amp fairly easily.

Also, I'm having trouble seeing a 5-peice rock band without 2 guitar players. Take away one bass player, one drummer, and, assuming your singer doesnt play anything, one singer, and are still left with two people. If only one plays guitar, what does the other do, play cowbell? :D

Maybe he just dances around like the one guy in the mighty mighty bosstones. :smug:

Anyway, sounds like a good time, with some unfortunate events. It always seems to happen that way. Glad you still had a good time though.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Sorry to hear about that man. We're playing at this place in a week that we have played at before which has a small stage, and we usually set the drums and amps on the actual stage and the rest of us stand in front of the stage and bring the mic stands down there and stuff. (The stage isn't very high) Luckily the place we're playing tomorrow night has a pretty darn big stage and really good sound. God bless the people who actually think before making a venue.

4. keyboards and hype guy? =p

That sucks man, sorry to hear about that.

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Yikes.

Even without distortion, a song is still a song. You should have been creative, brought a few barstools up onto the stage and had an 'unplugged' night.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yes format - Bassist, singer, drummer, guitarist, keyboardist?

7. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I can top it. Our lead singer bought us a new PA amp off ebay. brought it to the gig. Plugged everything in, turned it on and BOOM! blew out both PAs and all 3 monitors. We had to cancel the gig. Nothing we could do.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I would say that once the PA went out and your singer couldn't be heard the gig was over. I guess you know by now to always bring your rig just in case.
    Sorry to hear about your crappy gig. I a month it will be funny. ;)

9. @Dan1099: we actually have two bassists - although, the other guy plays acoustic guitar on like 3 or 4 tracks...

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Bitchin. How's that work out for you?

I dont think I could play in a band with two bass players. I wouldnt want to share the limelight. :)

11. Yeah, now that I look back on it it wasn't so bad, We had a worse one once before: between 2 bands, we broke 4 strings - 3 guitar and one bass, toasted a marshall head and cab (not really shure how that happened?), broke the neck of an acoustic guitar (fell off its stand during the gig...?) and I got a blood nose on stage (does this ever happen to anyone else!?) and the PA cut twice during the gig!

It makes for a good story though!

12. darthpony

darthpony

Mar 17, 2005
    South Africa
    Own rig, as in PA system?

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, pedal distortion.

sorry to hear about your ****ty gig. they suck dont they?

14. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Everyone has em. Only thing you can do is have some humor...
    Played a gig and my amp blew. So, being a bass player, i jacked in to the guitarists alternate input, EQed the levels and started playing. However, it sounded goofy playing bass with a heavy distortion filter in the amp :)