1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Horrible Hiss!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by meltsakana, Nov 29, 2002.

1. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    After bringing my MIM Fender Jazz Bass back out of the closet, restringing, and plugging it in, I was shocked to discover the terrible hiss that comes out of the amp! It seems to be a ground problem, but when I hold the strings there is STILL some hiss! What can I do about this! I have a soldering iron, will I need to use it? Help me please!

~F

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Remember: Singlecoils = hiss

Do you play near halogen or neon lights, or computer monitors?

Usually, if you turn on both pickups, they act as a humbucker (eliminates hiss). This doesn't work on all Jazz models though.

3. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I've noticed the same sometimes. Usually quits when I hold the strings down. I usually play sitting next to my computer, though so that could be the cause.

4. faz1

faz1 Guest

i have got a squire 15W amp and when i play my bass i hear alot of hissing or buzzing but i went through a 60W peavy amp and all of the buzzing had stoped

the buzzing or hissing could be your amp's tone so i suggest you could take your amp to a guitar shop and get it repared if this hassent solved the problem well hell knows what could be wrong

it could be your pickups they may of got a little rusty so get it checked out by a professional

5. Open up the cavity and have a look at all the solder joints. See if any have become dull or even cracked. Resolder them if you feel u need to.

Or it could be the amp. Got another bass to try?

:D:D

Merls