Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horrible Hiss!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by meltsakana, Nov 29, 2002.

1. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    After bringing my MIM Fender Jazz Bass back out of the closet, restringing, and plugging it in, I was shocked to discover the terrible hiss that comes out of the amp! It seems to be a ground problem, but when I hold the strings there is STILL some hiss! What can I do about this! I have a soldering iron, will I need to use it? Help me please!

~F

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Remember: Singlecoils = hiss

Do you play near halogen or neon lights, or computer monitors?

Usually, if you turn on both pickups, they act as a humbucker (eliminates hiss). This doesn't work on all Jazz models though.

3. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I've noticed the same sometimes. Usually quits when I hold the strings down. I usually play sitting next to my computer, though so that could be the cause.

4. faz1

faz1 Guest

i have got a squire 15W amp and when i play my bass i hear alot of hissing or buzzing but i went through a 60W peavy amp and all of the buzzing had stoped

the buzzing or hissing could be your amp's tone so i suggest you could take your amp to a guitar shop and get it repared if this hassent solved the problem well hell knows what could be wrong

it could be your pickups they may of got a little rusty so get it checked out by a professional

5. Open up the cavity and have a look at all the solder joints. See if any have become dull or even cracked. Resolder them if you feel u need to.

Or it could be the amp. Got another bass to try?

:D:D

Merls