Horrible hum last night!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vlad335, Nov 29, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    We played a local bar in town last night. THe place had very questionable power from the start. ( Only a couple outlets in the whole place, dont know how many circuts.)

To make a long story short, my bass was humming like hell. If I would stand in a certain place it would stop. I have a Warwick Corvette standard with an 18 volt EMG setup. Also I am now using an Alembic FX-1 Preamp. ( First time giged out with it.) I tried ground lifts and everything I could think of but nothing worked.Even unplugged the neon bar signs. So I pretty much had to stay in one spot which isnt easy for me.

I thought EMG's were sheilded. The bass was definately picking up something. When I would turn around the hum would vary in intensity and it was quite loud.

Any ideas of how to fix this? Could it be something with the Alembic preamp?

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Me thinks maybe you got some bad electricity. Could have been anything in that place causing the hum. Go home and plug into a known clean power source and see if it is still there. Also check your instrument cable. I play a couple of clubs that have very bad electric. If i'm on a different circuit than the sound board, I get a terrible hum. Other places it's dead quiet.
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Is your bass still makeing the same noise now that you are home, or only at the bar? I use EMG pickups, and I've never had noise from them, anywhere.
  4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    The bridge ground is disconnected. Also, I have only heard this hum at the particular venue we played. It was almost like I was picking up electrical fields. Dead quiet at home and in our practice space.
    Don't know...