1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horrible Smelling Leather Bass Strap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    So I picked up an awesome leather bass strap (complete with bullets), and it is great.

Anyone have any "do it yourself" tips on how to keep this thing from smelling like a farm animal after a bunch of sweaty shows?

Thanks,

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Find an athlete that wears pads and ask them what they use. I've seen rollergirl articles about getting the stank out of skates and pads, and I bet the same techniques would work for straps.

3. bassRunner

bassRunner

Aug 10, 2012
    Urbana, IL
    Maybe try throwing it in the freezer with some baking soda. This was the common remedy I found when trying to neutralize the smell of my leather sandals.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Sew or glue a padded liner to the inside of it.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Dont throw your strap in your case or gigbag when done. Loop it a couple times around your bass case handle so it will air dry and let it see some sunlight.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Sunlight and air will do wonders. Do NOT put it in your case after the gig. Even if you just throw it in your front seat after the show and let it bake in the car all week, just don't put it in the case and it will be fine.

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I quit wearing leather watchbands, wearing leather shoes, and using leather straps years ago. Leather stinks. Literally. Especially in hot, humid climates.