horrible sound from recorder.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by minkis, Sep 11, 2000.

1. minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    I have a foxtex x-14 four track recorder and when i record something and play it back it sounds really bad. is it just because it's a cheap four track or could it be the type of tape im using? any comments are welcome.
  2. Hmm, Tapes have a tencency to sound bad anyays, so I'd say the tape.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, what type of tape are you using?

Will C.:cool:
  4. Give us a frickin bone here. How are you recording it?
  5. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It shouldn't sound bad. Like Croz is asking, what and how are you recording?

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Without more information...it is difficult to say. Are you using any noise reduction, such as DBX?
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I used a Fostex X-15 for many years and got great recordings out of it. I even won "Demo of the month" and had my recordings on the magazine's cover CD on a Music Technology magazine. Do you realise for example, that it records two tracks on one side of the tape and two on the other or that it uses Dolby C noise reduction? High quality tapes are a must for this type of machine - I used metal tapes on the demos I did.

Sound quality is usually down to how you record - good microphones for example and you can never record bass directly into something like this. You need some sort of pre-amp, DI Box etc. If you are heavy handed or inconsistent in your technique, then a compressor will help the sound of bass when recording. ( I wouldn't use this personally, but it's something that can help beginners get better (more)bass sound on tape.)

I also always used a small 8-4-2 mixing desk to mix in effects etc. - never recorded direct into the X-15.