1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horrible tragedy!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by lucas vigor, May 12, 2011.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    So.....I was at orchestra rehearsal. I always remove my bow, rosin, mute, tuner from the case at the same time I usually do, then put the soft case away somewhere....this time I swear I did take out the bow...and then threw my soft case from the stage onto the first row of seats....then went back to start tuning and I didn't see my bow!

My first thought was...."maybe it is ok".....but of course, the bow was still in the soft case and snapped in two pieces, right in the middle!

Since this has never happened to me before....can damage like this be repaired or is it a goner?

Bow is a sunrise pernabuco, about 400 bucks.

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Im not a luthier, but imo, Its toast. Repairing it would add mass & weight...it would have a different (and likely undesirable) feel to it. It would likely break again when you tightened the hair. Maybe you could salvage the frog & screw.(?)

3. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Call Jerry Pasewicz at Pasewicz String Instruments (919) 858-0429

To see some of his recent miraculous restoration, look here:

Don't do this! (But then again, you probably wouldn't.. also posted on TB) - Page 2 - Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

In the right hands, it can be fixed. What needs to be determined is whether or not the bow is worth it...

Whether or not it makes sense (economically) to bring his skill to bear on a $400 bow, remains to be seen. See what Mr. Pasewicz says.

If it is a great-playing stick, you might feel that it is worth it, regardless of cash value.

Is it insured?

Sorry for the accident. Good luck!

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Honestly, it is just an ok playing bow....my glasser back-up bow sounds about the same, but this bow was a gift and it was restrung with black hair....I don't know if it would be worth it to take it to an expert....I mean, the bow is about 400 bucks and what would someone charge to fix it?

I am really sad right now. Sad at my own negligence and stupidity.

5. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

First, don't feel bad, it was an accident and they happen to everybody.

Now, sorry I have to say it: GET A HARDCASE! Even for a $400 bow. The thought of putting my bow in my bass bag without a hard case gives me the willies. The other option would be to sew some straps on your "soft case" so that it can become a bow sock.

Also, sending a manufactured chinese student bow to somebody like Pasewicz is overkill IMO. An irreplaceable Morizot, absolutely. It's quite possible your local bow person can fix it up.

You could also take this as a good opportunity to shop for a new and better bow.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Two words . . . Carbon Fiber . . . I purchased a Finale carbon fiber bow a couple of years ago and I really like it.

It comes with a hard case.

7. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    A few years ago, I had someone sew me a bow sock—soft fuzzy on the outside and satin on the inside. It works great.

One caveat: If you use a Full Circle pickup, make sure the wire isn't in the way when you attach the bow sock for transport. It's delicate enough as it is.

Michael

8. You could put the hair from the broken bow on the Glasser bow

9. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I was in fact, thinking maybe I could salvage the hair and use it on the Glasser. I also will think very hard about a bow case (now I can totally see why people have them!) and regarding the carbon fiber, I had thought about that too, but other people in the orchestra did not recommend them for orchestral section playing, saying they were ok for solo or for jazz...but not much else..had anyone else heard that? The finale carbon fiber cost exactly the same as my bow, but also came with a case!

If it makes a difference, I am a frenchie.

10. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Jeez you guys. Salvage the hair? That sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

About carbon fiber: not all CF bows are created equal, but there is absolutely no reason to say that they are not good orchestra bows. I frequently use a Gage Metropolitan in orchestra and it pulls a big and focused sound out of my bass. The sound is darkish, but not muted sounding at all. In fact, the qualities of carbon fiber tend to make the sound blend better in a section in my opinion.

Contrary to almost everyone else on talkbass, I would not recommend a Finale. I've owned one, and I consider them to be on par with cheaper imported bows (like Ophelia for instance) and hence overpriced. Go try out a Metropolitan and wood bows in a similar price range (600-800), like Marco Raposo or others, and see what you think.

11. +1 on the Metropolitan... great bow, good enough for essentially anything (if you're playing concertos or the Bach Suites in a professional setting, maybe not the first choice, but it would do OK even for that). Its siblings from Coda are similarly capable, in a somewhat different style.

You do get what you pay for, however, and the cheaper carbon bows aren't as capable.

Also bear in mind that styles of orchestra playing vary a lot, and most of the world doesn't share the US fixation on tonal quality to the same extent... articulation and the ability to make a nasty sound when required also matter to some of us. A Metropolitan does make it much easier than any wood bow I've had if you need to get aggressive, simply because you know you aren't going to break it (yes, my hands are strong enough to do that, I have cracked a bow stick while playing).

12. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    A few thoughts:

- Switching the hair from one bow to the other may be an impractical idea

- Nobody here can tell you what the repair will cost, sight unseen, or if it practical in this case.

- Jerry Pasewicz deals with this stuff day in and day out. Why not take some photos, email them to his shop, and invest 5-10 minutes in a phone call with one of the foremost bow restorers in the country? What is the downside? His opinion is worth two weeks of Talkbass dialogue, in my opinion.

- You may well be surprised by how affordable such work actually is, but you won't know your options, in that regard, unless you call him.

- Don't take/send the bow to just anyone for repair. I have had a couple bows damaged by folks who said that "they could do it, no problem" then proceeded to do things that subsequently had to be reworked. Go with a well-regarded pro, not some guy down the street with more confidence than skill, some Scotch Tape, and tube full of Krazy Glue...

Good luck.

13. Unless you know how to rehair your own bows, the cost of switching the hair to another bow will not be much cheaper. You might as well get fresh hair.

As for repairs, a $400 bow would need to be pretty special to justify the repairs (assuming the repair is $200+, which is likely). It wouldn't hurt to get an estimate, but I doubt it will be cheap. Find out if the bow was insured (homeowner's or instrument insure may cover it, depending on your policy) and get an upgrade.

14. Oooh... I know that feeling all to well. Mine broke at a bend (thicker part) and was repaired well and cheap.

Hard case= no worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get a pool stick case for $10 or so....

15. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    My solution has been simple and super cheap and has protected my John Guerin bow for 15 years. I have a soft pool cue case that has a round packing tube insert (cardboard, 1/4 inch thick, very stiff and strong) This whole setup probably cost 10$ is very light weight and wouldn't damage the bass if it fell on the bass like a hard case might. Very sorry to hear about your bow...

16. Try contacting Kolstein.
    I'm sorry for your loss, $400 is still money. I'm renting a bass from Kolstein's, and the bows that they let me rent with the instruments are so fine, I'm spoiled by them.