Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horrible way to go...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 8, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What happened?
    (Sorry, don't want to register here, too, for just one article.
    Could somebody please copy+paste it?)

3. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dairy8mar08,1,7964326.story?coll=la-headlines-california

From the Los Angeles Times
    Dairy Worker, Son Found Dead
    From the Associated Press

March 8, 2006

FRESNO — A dairy worker and his 8-year-old son died in a manure pit after going out at night to feed calves at the dairy where they lived, authorities said Tuesday.

Luis Gutierrez, 27, and his son, Luis Armando Gutierrez, left their home Saturday night to check on the animals, investigators said. When they didn't come back, worried family members contacted authorities and the owners of Contente Dairy in Grangeville.

During an all-night search, investigators found Luis Gutierrez's stalled pickup truck. Deputies believe the father and son got out of the truck and tried to take a shortcut home, stumbling across the manure pond.

Footprints and signs of slipping near the edge of the 10-footdeep pit indicate that one of them may have fallen in, said Kings Country Sheriff Allan McClain.

The dairy owner, Tony Contente, dredged the pond and the bodies were recovered early Sunday morning, McClain said.

"We could see the dad seemed to be doing what he could to reach his son," McClain said. "But this stuff … if you step in, it sucks you in."

An autopsy is planned, but investigators don't suspect foul play. McClain said the pair may have drowned in the thick sludge.

Cal-OSHA is investigating the incident, spokesman said Dean Fryer said.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ew...
    Tragic and disgusting.
    Shouldn't there be signs and fences around like "Warning, Quicks**t"?
    What's the big idea behind a manure pond anyway?
    :eyebrow:

5. Dairy farms have to store all that crap somewhere. Sometimes the sulfur dioxide emissions from them can suffocate people if they're not careful! :eek:

Giant industrial feedlots, pig farms, chicken farms, etc. are some of the vilest places imaginable. The biggest and nastiest are in the Central Valley of California, on land that was once productive farmland but through imprudent irrigation practices has become too salty for cultivation.

6. We used to have to watch videos warning about this stuff in primary school. With dramatic reconstructions. It's a pretty common way to go here. Yes, we are all farmers.

Poor fellas.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Damn. And here I thought I had a bad day...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man...that stinks.

It's a buncha BS if you ask me. If I were the family I'd definitely be hoofin' it over to a good lawyer. If anyone's got a beef with these people it's the family.

bc

9. that is definatly no BS

manure is often stored in pits or cellars, 'cleaning/emptying' them the methane gas can get one unconscious in no time, I know serveral families whose grandfather's died because of such accident

it's quite hard to rescue one who went unconscious in such an area, because the rescuers may well fall unconscious themselves

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, that sucks. I wonder why the dude decided to take his son out there too.

-Mike

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats a crappy way to die

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Maybe they were trying to defeat a Golgothan, and he bested them.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Apparently you didn't read the article.

bc

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    "City folk" just don't understand rural life.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Around here it's turned into fertilizer... let me guess, over there you throw away the natural fertilizer and use only artificial chemical fertilizer? :p

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Around "here" we use dead dogs and horses for fertilizer. :eek:

-Mike

17. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    If they have so much of it why don't they process it like we do human crap. They need sewer plants!! Hey mate, lets just dig a hole and throw it all in for one gigantic crap pond. It's unfortunate that people die that way and nothing gets done. Don't they have ordinances (laws) that make them put a fence up or something. seems all to silly.

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    How terrifying!!! Those poor people. Horrible.

Cherie :bawl: