Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horror movie fans, help me if you can...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Back in the early 80s, I remember watching a horror movie on TV, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Here's what I remember:

• There was a boy that was trying to make one of his sisters think their house was haunted. He would tape record himself walking on gravel and play it back at night for his sister to hear.
    • The boy had a pet iguana, which ended up in grandma's bed, scaring her to death.
    • I think the boy ended up falling off the roof (actually, he was pushed off by the ghost of his dead sister, who actually did haunt the house towards the end of the movie).
    • There's a scene where one of the girls (not the ghost, but the one that the brother was trying to scare) follows her mother up the stairs to her bedroom with a pizza cutter (she's cutting the wall with it).
    If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about, please let me know. Thanks.

2. it doesn't ring a bell to me, but I'll ask some of my horror-movie addicted friends...

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    A guy I used to work with knew the movie, but he didn't know the name of it either. Damn the luck.

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    :eek:

Oh wow, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid! I think it was called "Don't Go to Sleep".

5. seems like it to me, just looked it up on Google:D

is it the movie, Hategear?

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Looks like you're right, Stephanie. Thanks a gazillion!

:)

How come none of the old timers 'round here knew this?

7. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I just found a copy of it on eBay. Man, it gave me a damn chill just reading about it and seeing the box cover. "Contains the infamous pizza cutter scene." What a scary, creepy movie. I'm gonna have to get a hold of a copy of it and watch it again. That and The Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

Boo!

8. sweet......glad stephanie knew, cuz I wanna see this movie now...heh...

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Welcome.

Ahhh "Dark Night of the Scarecrow". I actually just watched that the other night (on tape).

They don't show horror movies on TV like they used to. When I was a kid I used to watch Saturday Nightmares on the USA Network. They'd show a horror movie then TV shows like Freddy's Nightmares and Tales From the Darkside. There was always a horror movie to watch on some channel.

10. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Tales From the Dark Side kicked ass! My mom and I used to watch that every night before I went to bed. Do you remember the show Darkroom by chance?

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont go to sleep, i saw that, cool.

12. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, I sat at my computer for twenty minutes tonight, waiting for this auction to end. In the very last seconds of the auction, I got into a bid war with two other bidders and ended up losing the auction by fifty cents. Man, I'm both disappointed and pissed off. Oh well, off to bed I go.

Hmph.

13. sorry to hear that dude... is it discontinued or something? maybe you can find it floating around online..

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hategear, I completely forgot about Darkroom until you just mentioned it. I probably only saw it when I was like 4 when someone else had it on. Did the intro begin with a camera weaving in-between rooms and everything was red and black, and the announcer had a creepy voice and said "Darkroom" at the end of it?

15. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think it did, Bryan. I believe it was narrated by James Coburn and I think at some point, a red bulb was switched on, maybe just before they said the name. I remember two episodes: One was where a kid had a collection of plastic army men that somehow came to life in the night and started attacking him and his family. The other was about a couple that had a relative of theirs staying with them, because he was disabled -- his legs had been severed just below the knees by a train. Anyway, he ended up dying and the couple was dependent on his disability checks, so they hired a guy to replace him. Only trouble was, they had to cut his legs off first. The last scene was of the husband firing up a chainsaw to remove dude's legs!

Yeah, FiveStrings, it's out-of-print. However, I did find another one, dated 1991 that also stars Dennis Weaver. I'm thinking maybe it was re-released (what are the odds that a movie has the same name and stars the same actor), but if that's not the case, I'm out thirty bucks and I'm back to square one.