1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Horror Stories about Reverb.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassist30, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It seems when you sell something you can get insurance from reverb. Recently bought a product and it came non working. You get the usual it was working when I sent it from the seller who in turn has reverb insurance and walks away with you holding he product. Trying to get reverb to respond goes in circles and it looks like Im holding the damaged product which I paid for. Sent a email to the product company but have not gotten a response. Anybody have a rip off reverb story

2. Man, I hate that for you. In over 20 transactions on there, I have never had an issue. The only problem I had was I ordered two sets of knobs for a project and only got one. Contacted the seller and he apologized and sent out another set the next day. Another seller actually called me on a Saturday night to make sure I had chosen the correct item as there were alternatives. I hadnt, so the call was helpful.

I hope you get it sorted out.

BnB

Alan Scharrer and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm batting 1.00...

... but, with only one transaction under my belt...

... but, I'm still batting 1.00...

4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I ordered a truss rod cover but was refunded the next day with an "out of stock" message. Why list something if it's out of stock? It may have sold locally or whatever but a few days later, I did a search and the same item was listed again by the same seller. I just thought that was strange.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    9 purchases, 19 sales, every single one went perfectly. I've had more problems on TB.

Did you try the need help or chat options on Reverb? Did you use Paypal, and if so did you contact them?

Alan Scharrer likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nope...two transactions and no problems. Give us a little more detail re: your Reverb dispute.

Riis

7. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Pretty much stated... I mean the guy who I bought it from seems nice but he had insurance... As far as me, The person in charge of the dispute said to bring to a repair shop and if the charge is within limits they will pay... But I would have to shell out an additional 75 to 95 dollars for them to look at it. I mean why not return it to them and let them handle it and just pay me the money. But in reality it should go back to the manufacturer for repairs as they would use their own parts. What about a Warranty I stated to them but they didn't respond to it. They emailed with a number to call and speak to them by phone but I got an answering service. But it may was sent damaged and he insured it... It was a very good deal.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. Zero issues. Have had only positive experiences

9. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Essentially the insurance is for damage or loss in shipment and it is the seller who is the insured and it's up to him to file a claim not the buyer. Your seller needs to contact Reverb if it's a damage issue. This may be where there's some confusion on Reverb's part.

A non-working item would typically be handled via the sellers return policy. Was whatever you bought damaged in shipment? If not and it's simply non-working then it was received in bad order "not as advertised" and you should be able to return it for a full refund.

I've done nearly 50 transaction through Reverb with only one "failed to pay" and they were most helpful with that as usual. Maybe this is just a case of misunderstanding.

10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to hear this. However, if you paid via PayPal, you are 100% in the drivers seat due to PayPal's policies.

The key question...Did you use PayPal?

Just to show you how much you're in the drivers seat if you used PayPal, check out my horror story below:

PayPal “item not as described” Horror Story – Reverb saves the day

11. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Yes I used paypal… Its not working to send a problem but I will try again.... Thanks for the response... Ill work on it in the morning again.,,,,

nixdad likes this.
  12. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship? Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry to hear. My first and only purchase through Reverb worked out great.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Always. Yea, you got a raw deal, but no system is perfect.

14. I've sold more than 30 items on Reverb without a problem. I've also bought a ton of gear there and never had an issue.

Alan Scharrer likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve only had one issue where a pedal I purchased on a Reverb listing wasn’t working correctly. Unfortunately, it sat in the shipping box about three weeks before I got around to plugging it in. I did contact the seller. But all I got back as a reply was a cut & paste copy of their 10 day return policy.

I looked up the seller’s trade stats which were favorable - for the most part. So my fault for not checking my purchase out earlier than I did. I don’t think this seller (whom I’m guessing is a just your basic flipper) deliberately sent me something he knew was defective. And I’d have appreciated a little more polite and personal a response than just a copy of their return policy boilerplate. But I really have nobody to blame but myself for this one.

Live and learn.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The point is that because you used PayPal, you're GOLDEN. All you have to do is file a claim (which in your case is fully justified.) There is no reason for you to take any alternative action. They ALWAYS side with the buyer (if my posting doesn't prove this, nothing will!), and Reverb will always defer to PayPal. I'm thankful that in my case, at the end of the day Reverb stepped up to do the right thing.

Good Luck!

17. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    I’ve sold many things on Reverb. With much success and absolutely zero hassles.

I just listed a small item I couldn’t sell on CL for 2 months. It sold on Reverb in an hour this morning!
    No problems with me.

nixdad likes this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

reverb, ebay, TB --- anything can and will go wrong at one time or another. but they are all meant to work smoothly and i think they all do, except for that odd time, now and then, when :poop: hits the fan.

we only hear about the one-off/blip/anomalies, like the OP's reference(s). and since each one of us constitutes the epicenter of some universe = we get butthurt and we flame-on thinking that posting our horror story will make it all better (like when mommy kissed our owie).

reverb is cool. so are the others. but :poop: happens.* better luck next time, OP: the odds are in your favor! ;)

* glad it wasn't me! :laugh:

nixdad and StereoPlayer like this.