Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horse Assisted Pole Vaulting Video

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LajoieT, Aug 5, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    wow, that's gotta hurt. He was kinda lucky not to land on his chariot.

fishy site though...

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, it used to be work safe, but their ads have gone severly downhill. Most of their content is strait forward and they usually warn you if something is not work safe, but I wish the ads would get toned down a bit.

4. I'm glad the horses didn't get hurt.

What a jerk. :rollno:

Mike

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm not understanding why the rider was to blame.

6. Wow, the chariot is one thing but he was almost impaled by that big bar! That's even scarier, in my opinion.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You migh want to add to the intial post that if someone is at work and looking at that site, a casual look over the shoulder by the boss can get them in some doo-doo. I'm not clicking on the link right now because I am familiar with the site, and if my boss goes into our history (which has happened) he'll come up with a page with all sorts of scantily-clad "singles" looking for a good time.

8. Why didn't he stop the horses the way the chariot was bouncing so?

OK, it may be easy for me to say this, but if this is his passtime, he should have enough experience at this.

That's the way I see it.

Mike

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Having sat on one horse my entire life I would say that first it was weird feeling. But I knew in all confidence that if said horse were to become angry, scared, etc, that there would be nothing I could do about it short of falling off of him.

These animals were used to a rolling cart following them, not a bar dragging around their feet. They spooked and nothing short of killing both animals would have stopped them.

Think about a cornered animal, you are being nice trying to coax and soothe it, but if the animal is scared and percieves no medium of escape, you will be attacked plain and simple.

Even the nicest, most tree hugging, beached whale saving, baby otter cleaning, animal lover will be attacked in that situation.

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
  11. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You're right, it is really easy to say this.

Take a second and actually think about this. Imagine trying to stop -- not slow down, but actually STOP -- two animals who are bred for racing, and are driven into a panic because they can feel the chariot behind them inordinately and wildly bouncing and sliding, and probably hitting their legs quite often. Panic driven horses have a strength beyond human comprehension. In the open, a terrified or truly motivated horse will run until it dies of sheer exhaustion. Not until they pass out, until they die.

So no, he couldn't have just "stopped" the horses.

That said, he's really, really lucky to be alive. Kudos to not dying and all.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Horses scare the **** out of me. Seriously, a frenzied horse is terrifying. They knock you dead with a single blow.

14. Judges:

10.0___10.0______9.9_______10.0
    USA___Japan____Uruguay____Bolivia
    :hyper:_____:hyper:_______:hyper:_______:hyper:

15. Abark000 and Aaron Saunders, thanks for the info on horse behavior. :)

And I'm not being sarcastic. ;)

Mike

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No problemo. If there's one "everyday" animal people don't respect enough, I'd say horses just about take the cake.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. Horses can be scary beasts, even in the right hands they're dangerous, though beautiful animals.

But yeah, that's gotta hurt.