1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Horseshoe Crab's Lack of Evolution

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Glad you took it as a gentle ribbing and not a dig! The ribbing is as much for me as anybody else. I primarily play a double bass that is a year older than my parents, so I'm not one to complain about lack of evolution. (There really needs to be a sarcasm font, but I just assume on a thread started as a troll, most responses should be taken as banter.) Anyway, rock on, and play your heart out on whatever instrument you like, with whatever groove moves ya.:thumbsup:

mikewalker and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  2. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Thanks. Funny you mentioned sarcasm. My comment about taking a ribbing was a jab at the hypersensitivity that permeates public discussion these days.

To your original point, I agree we should be light on our feet to accept new ideas and concepts, but being honest, as you get older it gets harder and harder as my 30 year old shoes can attest. LOL. Have a good one.

Esteban Garcia likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Sorry, didnt see the other post.

I agree with what your saying, other than the points you've covered is adding more strings to extend its range, much easier to do on a slab of wood than a large acoustic instrument like the double bass, however as you also mentioned doing so kind of changes it to a different instrument covering a wider sonic range than it was originally designed for. Some would argue that its a step forward in the evolution of the instrument but at some point it goes beyond that and becomes something new a different all together IMO

4. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    Holy crabs, even I think that guy has his bass slung too low.

equill likes this.
  5. It doesn't get harder for me. It gets to the place of "what's the point?" when what I've got seems perfectly fine and everyone who wants to tell me different is either pitching me or otherwise blowing smoke up my butt.

I have seriously gotten to a point in life when it's just hard to be dazzled, and I guess that's ok.

6. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Interesting point of view. I hear you LBS.

Sounds a lot like my 89 year old father in law who still has his 1953 Western-Electric telephone proudly mounted to his living room wall. No cell phone there, let alone a smart phone. No Internet, no CD player, no digital anything. Still driving his 1971 International Harvester pick up truck. The only investments he ever had was a CD. He still enjoys his 8 track tapes. In fact, the only thing he has state of the art is his pacemaker. You would think that’s crazy, but like you he is totally content and I love him for it.

7. I know, it makes me sound a bit like a curmudgeon and maybe I am to a degree, but I'm not closed to new things the way some people are. There has to be a practical reason why it makes sense for me, though. When cell phones were becoming popular, my significant other at the time was dead set against getting one for a long time, whereas I saw the practical value in being able to stay in touch with people and eventually we both got them. With music, like many people I still enjoy the music I grew up with, but there is a lot of new music I enjoy, too. And I haven't been afraid to learn how to produce my own music in my home studio, whereas a lot of people my age don't have any idea how to even start with that technology, or want to hold onto parts of it, like my friend who went out and bought a digital board to record with because it still has old-school faders. So I'm not quite that bad, but you have to give me a reason to get excited about something :)

8. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Me too. I takes a lot for me to get excited.

LBS-bass likes this.
  9. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Everyone: please review this PSA concerning our friend, the horseshoe crab.

EfvHPTPXsAEH3ir.jpg

That is all.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021