1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Horst Grunert basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by davechamb, Mar 2, 2005.

1. davechamb

davechamb

Jan 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm looking for a bass and have seen a Grunert bass with a fantastic sound, based on a John Lott shape (violin shoulders/corners, flat back)

Does anybody have any advice with regard to Grunert's basses?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bring money.

I played a Grunert Panormo copy at Gage's a while back, it was nicely made, but didn't hav ethe volume, projection or warmth of my current bass. And since my current bass is appraising at around $8K and they wanted $18K for the Grunert, I saw no reason to make a change.

There's a nice article on the workshop in a late 90's DOUBLE BASSIST, you may be interested in checking that out.

Also, as the aphorism says, a picture is worth a thousand words. Go into shops and play basses. Lots of basses. When the sound of one makes you stop for a minute, when the sound of one makes you remember that sound in your head, THAT'S the bass you want.

No matter who made it.

3. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I think new Grunert's are going for $30K at Robertson's and Sons, the famous violin shop in New Mexico. They stock a couple.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. Ed..the Grunert in the pic looks alot like the one Michael Moore bought a few years ago. Is it, by chance, the same axe?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I dunno, did he bring it back and exchange it for 10 Christophers?

Maybe, I saw it at Gage's back in 2001 or 2002....