Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Horst Grunert basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by davechamb, Mar 2, 2005.

1. davechamb

davechamb

Jan 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm looking for a bass and have seen a Grunert bass with a fantastic sound, based on a John Lott shape (violin shoulders/corners, flat back)

Does anybody have any advice with regard to Grunert's basses?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bring money.

I played a Grunert Panormo copy at Gage's a while back, it was nicely made, but didn't hav ethe volume, projection or warmth of my current bass. And since my current bass is appraising at around $8K and they wanted $18K for the Grunert, I saw no reason to make a change.

There's a nice article on the workshop in a late 90's DOUBLE BASSIST, you may be interested in checking that out.

Also, as the aphorism says, a picture is worth a thousand words. Go into shops and play basses. Lots of basses. When the sound of one makes you stop for a minute, when the sound of one makes you remember that sound in your head, THAT'S the bass you want.

No matter who made it.

3. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I think new Grunert's are going for $30K at Robertson's and Sons, the famous violin shop in New Mexico. They stock a couple.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. Ed..the Grunert in the pic looks alot like the one Michael Moore bought a few years ago. Is it, by chance, the same axe?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I dunno, did he bring it back and exchange it for 10 Christophers?

Maybe, I saw it at Gage's back in 2001 or 2002....