Hosed by Musician's F#@*#d!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Apr 25, 2002.

1. As many of you know I'm a long time Trace Elliot fan, so when Musician's F#@*#d bought out all the remaining TE stock to be sold at greatly reduced prices I was one happy dude... just think, a brand new TE RAH300-12 for $718.94!

Well, it arrived yesterday... only it wasn't the current model RAH300-12... it was a RAH300 SMX. So what's the difference? Besides being a 4 or 5 year old model it doesn't have the harmonic emphasis function, noise reduction circuit, no FET switching, the valve stage is in a less useful place in the preamp circuit and it doesn't have the electroluminescent display!

To compound the problem they tell me all the RAH300's are gone now... no more to be had.
    1. Should I keep it?
    2. Should I try to get a much lower price and keep it?
    3. Should I send it back and wait for another really good deal to come my way?

If I could have any amp in the world it would be a Trace Elliot (all tube) V-4, V-6, or V-8... anyone got a line on one of those? I would save me alot of trouble.
  2. I got screwed similarly...they screwed up my info and had to call me to verify my credit card info--after they'd shipped the last one. They don't hold items for verification, either.

I'm never buying from MF again.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I waited 8 days for them to ship a SKB rack. When I called they said it should be here the next day. I call UPS, it had never been picked up.

I ended up having to re-order the item (because I needed it). I told them I'd like it if they sent it next-day freight. They said they could but it would be $56. I said I wasn't going to pay that. They kept me on the phone for about 30 minutes. Finally, they offered to send it next day if I paid $6 and they covered the $50. I told them no because next day should be more like $25. They think I'm a fool. They most likely eve nget a big freight discount.

It showed up the afternoon of the show I needed to use it. I rushed and got my rig screwed in in time to get all set up. 13 days after I originally ordered it.

I told them they lost me forever as a customer. I buy a lot too. I fiigure if they can screw up something as simple as that, I'll never trust them with a major purchase.

I'd say, if it's not the item you want, and not what you paid for, send it back. They have to. Let them bear the cost of re-stocking it. Get your money back and get the one you want.
  4. If they can get me an NOS AH500-12 or AH500SMX for under $1000--and it looks like they might be able to do just that--I might be able to do so. In the meantime, I'm ampless, but that's making my calluses come back, which is a Good Thing.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mmmmmm...bait and switch, perhaps?

Call the Better Business Bureau and maybe an attorney.
  6. I'm sure it's not that serious... from their side. Just very young, very appathetic, very low paid, and possibly very stoned employees.

Looks like I'll be shipping it back... they didn't offer me a killer deal. :(
  7. Peter... I'd stay away from that SMX series if I were you. Like I said... it's missing MANY of the features of the newer -12 series, and because of the placement of the valve in the preamp circuit, it's almost useless in the SMX.

If you do decide to go with it... get a good deal.

FWIW... they'll be getting a RAH300 SMX back in a couple of days... maybe it'll go cheap!
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Join the long line of people hosed by MF. I swore to myself I wouldn't buy from them ever again and then this Trace blowout came up. I've been looking for a single 15 inch cab. to go under my trace 1210 combo with the 4-10s. I went back and forth with myself and finally ordered the 1153 cab from MF. It arrived yesterday. I haven't got a chance to play with it yet..(my amp is with the band gear set up for this weekend) but it arrived without the port plugs, and with no documentation
    (manual, reciept, etc). I emailed MF and of course, they want me to ship it back and exchange for another. I don't think I'll be doing that for port plugs!
  9. richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    One time I ordered a $300 electric g****r from MF and they sent me a $2400 VHT tube head. The invoice showed the guitar, so I had to almost beg them to take the head back and send me the guitar. I probably should have kept the head and traded it in on something I wanted, but . . . Oh well.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If it's not what you wanted dont keep it,make them give you what you paid for,or refund your money.if you dont take a stand on this issue now,it might be worse.dont be a pushover,Im sure there is no money tree in your backyard,and dont accept the line about it was a mistake,they have a history of doing things like this.and dont deal with them anymore,there are better places to spend your money.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't mail order stuff, but a buddy of mine has nothing but good things to say about American Musical Supply.
  12. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Musician's Friend is like good for guitar picks, straps and stuff like that. For big buck items you need to go somewhere else.
  13. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I guess I'll throw out my MF catalogs and keep the American Musical Supply.:p
  14. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've never dealt with them, but I've noticed zzounds.com almost always has more selection and better prices (at least on keyboards).
  15. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I've been buying stuff from MF (and AMS) for years, the other day I did some compare shopping for fun and I found INTERSTATE MUSIC is lowballing everybody by 5 bucks or so...:p
  16. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've seen that same special price on the Trace 1153 on the MF site,but I notice there's a "special" shipping charge since it's a "heavy item." How much did they charge you for the shipping?
  17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I bought a Fender Hot Rodded MIA P-Bass from MF for $549 !! :D It arrived when they said it would, needing only a minor setup.
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Hey Ray..shipping was around $19 for UPS ground.
    I didn't think that was too bad for a 65lb. cabinet.
    I ordered on a Friday and got it the next Wednesday.
  19. My friend and I bought the same amp from MF, except he bought his about 3 months after i bought mine. Mine cost 20 dollars shipping for heavey shipping, but they made him pay like 100 dollars for shipping the same amp and we live right down the street from each other. I still dont understand that.