1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hostage situation in NY Immigration Services Center

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Amazing how much crime has gone up during the recession.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is utterly heartbreaking.

:(

I don't think this has anything to do with the recession. The world never stops being crazy.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , i can't see this having anything to do with the " recession " ... :ninja:

4. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Tendency is to get worse...

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Who gets to post first that this was obviously the cop's fault?

6. I missed something- the guy barricades the back door, goes in & starts shooting. Is it not his(the shooter's)fault?
    If you're *joking* I call poor taste.

7. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Unless this guy proves to be one of those nut jobs who believe that immigration is the reason he is unemployed then I don't think the economy should be linked to crimes like it is in the media.

from the second article:

To me this isn't relevant and just serves to stir up unnecessary fear so that I'll tune in tonight at 11:00 wondering if my town could be next.

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I was wondering what they are going to want to knee jerk ban next: Cars, rifles, Immigration centers, or young men.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Not joking at all. Someone WILL come along, and blame the officers who handled the situation. It happens in all TB OT threads that somehow involve law enforcement.

10. Yeah- I guess that's inevitable; I withdraw my charge.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people, right? :eyebrow:

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    It turned my stomach just reading about that.

But the worst part of the whole article was this paragraph:

"Investigators said they had yet to establish a motive for the massacre, which was at least the fifth deadly mass shooting in the U.S. in the past month alone."

:scowl:

13. I wrote a note to my Senator, basically suggesting the following:

Pass a law allowing those killed to become citizens. To allow extra time for those wounded or traumatized to complete what they need to do, so that they aren't penalized for being victims.

After all, these people were trying to become US citizens. They were trying to do the right thing. Let's show them some compassion.

Sorry if I made this political.

edg

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    :confused: There's no report that the perpetrator was a cop.

15. If it weren't for the cops..............yeah, it's historic that cops will get blamed here on TB, although I would have thunk it would be an anti-NRA flame war by now.

Still, what the hell is up with all the violent crime recently? :confused:

16. Just a guess, but this jacked up economy and spiralling unemployment may have something to do with it.

17. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I used to work for a bank and receive reports on bank robberies. Since the "crisis" started, the number of reports went up drastically, specially the ones involving firearms.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Didn't see a thread on this (maybe I missed it) but there was a shooting in Pittsburg yesterday where 3 police officers were killed for no reason at all.

Associated Press Article.

YouTube of the Press Conference

Yeah, we're going to see a spike in violence given the condition of the economy (this shooter apparently just lost his job) but the reality is that these are just whack jobs who just needed a slight push. It's hard to believe there are so many people out there like that.

Sad stuff.