1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hostel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Anybody see this movie? My warehouse manager just now loaned it to me to take home and watch. I've heard/read some things about it... supposed to be pretty damn gruesome... so, I'm gonna shove it into the DVD tonight and give it a whirl. I'm also going to see how long it takes before my wife walks out of the room... :D

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A guy at work was just talking about this movie today. He said it is really gory.

-Mike

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    As a musician I really cringe when extreme pain is inflicted on character's hands. This movie has the most gruesome hand injury I've ever seen.

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hostel, much like Saw I and II, is classic cinema. I highly recommend it.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    You betcha... I, too, have a thing about my hands!

Well, I got home about 40 minutes ago... had to deal with the oven. It seems my mother-in-law, who' been visiting from South Korea... for the past 5-1/2 months ('ya think it's time for her to go home???), managed to trip the oven's circuit breaker. Apparently she was cooking some beans, kinda got distracted... she's 76 years old... they overflowed, and water spilled down onto the burner contacts... sparks flew... and the circuit breaker did its job! Unfortunately, my wife freaks-out, 'cuz she happened to see the sparks fly... she gives her mom a truckload of hell for trying to kill everyone in our condo, burn down the entire building, destroy the oven... yada-yada-yada... calls me in a panic... I get home to find the breaker being tripped, so I reset it... problem solved, except for one of the contact points on the offending burner is fried! Gonna have to make a trip down to Home Depot later...

...so, my wife having to deal with this mini-trauma, not to mention upsetting the sh*t out of my poor mother-in-law (she doesn't speak any English, and my Korean ain't very good, either, so I cannot console her in words... just a big hug and a kiss on the cheek... let her know everything is 'okay'... she does understand that word)... looks like we won't be watching this gruesome horror show tonight... at least I think the timing isn't appropriate for now...

I'll offer my personal movie review... and how long it took before 'woman' grosses herself out of the room... in 48 hours... or so... ;)

Ain't life fun? :D

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think this movie was rubbish. It's not gory at all - its this 'cut away at the last second' non-sense.

Switchblade Romance, now there's a horror film.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I can't see why this is a criteria for anything being a "good film" - why not just go and watch autopsies...:meh:

To me what makes a good film are ideas, plot lines, character development, beauty of images ...in fact anything but this!!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I liked the visuals that I saw in the previews and the plot seemed cool, therefore I went to see it. That fact that was a gory movie didn't sway my decision.

It was a fairly good movie, nothing spectacular, but good.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    This is almost the perfect scary/horror/slasher film imo. Lots of awesome nudity in the begining, lots of gore in the end, with a good bit of psychological terror involved as well. Good concept, well executed :)

10. I didnt like it

There were quite a few digs at stereotypicalised american culture which worked quite well, but the OTT guy near the end (guy who was playing with the oriental woman later on) was too much, also, i didnt find it that gorey, i got moaned at by the other half cus i complained about how unrealistic it was at parts, but hey, spose when you've done the real thing its not much fun watching a film bout it :p

All-in-all, liked the story, think it could have been executed better tho

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    It is what it is.

12. Meh, I prefer horror to slash. Things like The Birds, or Silence of the Lambs. Something a little more intelectual.

But what I'm waiting for is Over the Hedge that comes out in 2 weeks. I can't wait for that laugh.:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. The most over rated movie of the year. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, it has a great plot and is a cool movie overall, but it was the most over-hyped thing I've ever seen.
    I, being a horror movie fan, wasn't really that shocked by any of it. And one thing that REALLY bugged me was that they took a scene straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (anyone know the one I mean?).
    It wasn't that gorey compared to some older movies, but it had a pretty good budget, plus Tarantino stuck his name on it so it got tons of publicity, but it really wasn't as good as I was expecting.
    I liked it, but I was somewhat disappointed.

**White text spoiler here---> The part with the little kids beating that guy and eating candy, HILARIOUS!

14. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Semi-spoiler white text --->You mean the German/chainsaw/fall sequence?

Yeah, the idea of bribing kids with candy to do something like that was pretty comical, in a sick/twisted way:smug:

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    My thoughts exactly. I thought the idea behind the movie was decent, but overall it just wasn't that good.

Maybe they'll get it right in the sequel.

16. lolowl.

Hostel was a great comedy. Cabin Fever on the other hand is a classic...

17. I am not a horror "fan", but I don't mind any type of movie, so I watch one every once in a while. How does it compare to Saw or especially Saw 2? I heard Saw 2 was really gory and too much for some, but I didn't think it was HORRIBLE, just semi-bad like the first one. (gore-wise) Neither was all that "scary", more like a mystery/cop movie as far as I was concerned. So.......how does this compare to those two. NOT: "Oh it sucked compared to those!" BUT: "It had less gore, but was scarier. Or, it had the same gore, but showed it on screen more, etc."

18. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I don't think the chainsaw scene was a ripoff as much as an homage.. Eli Roth loves horror films.. Watch "Cabin Fever". That movie is one giant homage to all the movies he grew up watching.

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So, what you're saying is: watch the first 30 minutes and skip the rest? :)