1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hostile Take Over Attempted - They forgot I have all the gigs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tom Bonzo, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Tom Bonzo

Tom Bonzo

Feb 20, 2015
    Detroit
    I’ve owned/managed/played drums/mixed sound and created a pretty good cover wedding/club band for 7 years. For something fun to do. I was Unable to make the last gig so they tried doing 6 to 8 never songs without telling me. Would never have agreed to so many. The drummer knew of them on Wed. A few never practice so I would never try 6 or 8 with no practice on a gig. Anyway to purposely not include me in something that is my job and it’s my band, customers and product. Anyway I guess they had planned a mutiny for a bit. I can easily make this a pick up band. I do have a few other people that I like and can make steady and have subs for the rest. We were gigging to much anyway so that solves that. A few people were really difficult so this solves more than I exepected. Funny how people handled things now they are sitting at home. Too bad!

2. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I fail to see the hostile take-over in this... so, your band played a few new and unrehearsed songs? A take-over would mean to me that you get booted out of your own band completely. Which is apparently not the case?

Seems to me you get riled up too easily over something like this.

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Wait, you're a drummer? Did I read that correct? You're fired.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Yea, I’m not seeing the mutiny thing either. So they tried some new songs when you couldn’t make the gig? Hmm. Sounds like you are a bit of a control freak.

I think I’d pass working with you as well based on that mindset.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    There must be more to this. Right? There is more to this?

7. I think I understand your concern. You had set expectations with the customer and they failed to perform to the level that you expect. That can hurt future business opportunities.
    However, I'm failing to see how this is a mutiny. It seems more like employees goofing off when the boss is away. I think you just need to reaffirm to them that it is your band and that they can be replaced.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I was unable to find anything in the OP about the band's level of performance.

He stated he didn't have confidence they would perform so much new material well.

You state that they did not perform well. That's a pretty big leap.

Omega Monkey and Tobias Sullivan like this.
  9. You are correct, he did not state that they performed poorly. I made the leap based on the level of frustration in his post.
    If they did perform them well, there wouldn't have been any reason for him to post his complaint here.
    So there must have been something that affected his business for him to be upset.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Are you maybe just upset that they can do the job without you? Seriously asking, not trying to be a dick.

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking if the bandleader gets the boot from his own band, he/she should be in the process of promoting an upcoming solo album.

EatS1stBassist and Novarocker like this.
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    So they played (or wanted to play) a few songs you never practiced at a gig you weren't at?

I'm not sure you know what a hostile takeover is.

You sound like a bit of a control freak, I don't think those guys now "sitting at home" are going to be crying too much.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

14. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    V
    Very odd indeed, I'd like to get more of the story before making any meaningful remarks.

Just sounds like someone who just wants hired guns though.

bassestkkm and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hilarious!

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This will teach them what happens when they disobey me!!!!!

Sounds more like the mindset of a pimp rather than a bandleader. Or is that just me?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  17. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    You may be entirely in the right, but I’m pretty sure you’re not going to get much sympathy here. It’s a bass-players forum, not a band-leaders forum. Lots of us are the cats who’ll want to give those “never” songs a go when the bandleader is away.

18. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm thinking that the OP is not getting the love and support he had hoped for. :D

I'll buck the trend. If it's your band and your gig, the band should play the songs that they have rehearsed. Assuming 40 songs for the gig, 8 new tunes is 20%. That's pretty significant. I'd like to know why they decided to do 8 new tunes without asking and if the songs were a good fit for the bands sound, or a change in genre.

When it comes to gigs, if I'm booking the gig then I'm answerable to the club owner. I'm a BL, but not a dictator and everyone gets input into the material. However, once we've agreed to the material, I wouldn't be happy if a lot of changes were made without my input. Just as I wouldn't make a lot of changes without getting the band's input.

I used to play with a drummer that would wait until it was time to go back on stage to use the rest room and get a drink, even though I gave everyone a 5 minute warning. Finally I told him when he booked a gig he could do what he wanted, but when I booked a gig, he better have is @$$ on stage on time. The club owner doesn't complain to the band if he's unhappy, he complains to the BL.

Tom Bonzo, pjbassist, BOOG and 13 others like this.
  19. BassPilot

BassPilot

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    You made me Laugh Out Loud this morning....Thanks!!

20. JRA

JRA what key? Supporting Member

i'm thinking the same.

i think a lot of "complaints about the BL" on TB (where follows an either/or, black/white discussion) fail to acknowledge this reality!

the cool thing about being a sideman = you don't have to do as much work, be responsible for as many details, and you get to complain about the BL!

Tom Bonzo, andawun, SpyderX and 2 others like this.