Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOT amp (carvin r600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thomas, Jan 14, 2002.

1. My amp decided to be wierd. At a gig in December
    it kept shutting down (internal breaker) and finally
    overheated enough to blow the external breaker.
    Getting home I took the cover off of it to see what was acting up and couldn't find anything and at the time it seemed to be acting fine. At our next practice it began shooting sparks (cover still off).
    Upon closer inspection I saw a nice little molten spot on the edge of the heat sink where apparently it had been arcing to the case.
    I pulled out the heatsink/power amp assembly and put really thick double stick foam tape on either side of it and now it seems to be behaving itself.

Anyway, I've never heard anything bad about Carvin amplifiers but apparently mine has issues..

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you mightave voided the warranty by pulling the case apart... but id still call carvin. theyre really easy to deal with. sorry man.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, as Siegal says, contact Carvin by all means.

Their cabs may not be all that but they do take great pride in their heads. Sometimes it's a matter of making repeated contacts to get to the right person or just conveying your disappointment effectively, but they will do the right thing.

They have some new customer service people as of December who are out to satisfy the customer instead of telling you what their policy is. Give them a shot to make it right.

I had to write a letter to their Board of Directors to get what I wanted for a defective bass. But they took care of me.

4. the head is two years out of warranty so i don't think that voiding it is an issue anymore.