1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOT AMPEG NEWS! PF20T, PF50T, PF112HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by High Camp, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    JimmyM likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You will notice a little bit of a hit. If you were pushing the V4B right up to the dirt line, you would probably not be able to use the PF-50T, but it's not an especially quiet rig. Some can use it, some can't, and it's awfully hard to predict how it will work out for someone else.

Ya, I have a few, too. That one is called the Slapstrap, and it's made by a guy in Germany who also makes the Slapring, for slappers to get an even more metallic tone than they do already :D With the Hammersmith, it's very comfy. With my other heavier basses, I'd rather use my Levy's MSS2-4 because it's slightly wider and padded.

ToddOfThunder and beans-on-toast like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That is crazy! Must be floor demos.

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  4. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    I was told any in store stock. (floor model was last one at this store)

JimmyM likes this.
  5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I've used a a pr of 210AVs with my V4B, but not in over a year. It's a great sounding setup. And like you I haven't gotten around to trying them with my PF-50. The V4B never got dialed above 10 o'clock on gain or volume, so I assume the PF-50 would be more than capable. But the Quilter setup is just too easy to cart around, (And down from the 3rd fl.) Mounted to a single 12" Quilter cab, it's 400 watts in a 32 lb package. Bring a 2nd cab and you're up to 800 watts. The last 3 times out, I skipped the 2nd cab, and still had the sound guy ask me to turn down.
    Tonally, I give the edge to either of the Ampegs, but not by much. Convenience-wise, the Quilter is tough to beat.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry Joe, but I'm just not seeing what a 4 lb amp gives you as far as convenience vs an 11 lb amp.

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The BB800 mounts to the Quilter cab, making it a combo for all practical purposes. That, and 62 years of age and the 3rd fl. :)

Jefenator and JimmyM like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Fair enough, bro. I have lived in a walkup, but now I live on the ground floor. Might feel differently if I still lived in a walkup, but there were times I'd be lugging an SVT and 810 up stairs at 3 am. Of course, I was in my 20's, but still...

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ordered a PF112HLF cabinet. Should be here next week! The PF50T on top of an SVT210AV makes me nervous as the feet barely touch the edges and its just balancing there. I almost always use 2 cabinets and have the amp sitting in the middle over both. Won't have a problem with the PF112HLF for smaller gigs/recording/pit band work.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's how I've been doing it lately...112hlf when I want one cab, 210av's when I want two. Doesn't make me nervous sitting on them but you can get wider amp feet that would gives you a bigger safety margin.

ToddOfThunder and AMJBASS like this.
  11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

You might consider stacking two of the 112 cabs.

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    When you get the cab check that all the screws are tight Both of the ones I got every screw was loose

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  13. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I haven't done the PF50T/double SVT210AV stack yet, could be interesting.
    I'll do it next rehearsal at the end of September.

ToddOfThunder and JimmyM like this.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    For you 20T lovers (like me!) there is cool pic on the Ampeg Facebook page. Harmoni Kelley from Kenny Chesney's band is using on tour a PF20T with a PF115HE cab mic'd in an ISO box.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The feet on the 50T don't quite clear the top handle all the way, so I had to snag some slightly taller feet to do it on a regular basis, but it sounds badass and the feet will be fine for a test run. Stick a cloth over the handle if you don't want it to get scratched.

16. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Yep I have seen quite a few notable Bassists using PF-50T's with Micro Cabs.The Who's current Bassist Jon Button used a PF-50T with 2x210AV Cabinets when he played with Roger Daltrey on his solo shows.

38742186_1468501226585027_5646344902754172928_n.

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s pretty cool! Jon is a great player!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jon is who inspired me to try that rig, too. Did it once with just one cab, but usually used the PF112hlf. I really dig it through the 210's:

Rig-08-19-2018-Villages.

19. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    That's a nice looking rig Jimmy!........How stable is that PF-50 on top of those 210's?

ToddOfThunder and JimmyM like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Pretty stable...didn't fall off. But with the stock amp feet, it didn't totally clear the top handle, so I got slightly taller feet, and now it sits on it fine. It's a little close to the edges, but does sit on it without the feet hanging over.

ToddOfThunder, lowplaces and Briton like this.