1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOT AMPEG NEWS! PF20T, PF50T, PF112HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by High Camp, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have the PF-20 and swapped the feet from my Micro VR which are taller, because the feet on the PF-20 are shorter and the amp was rocking on the Cab handle. The front two feet fit perfectly in the Cab cups, and the back two feet are just resting on the cab but the Amp is very stable. Does the front two feet on the PF-50 fit perfectly in the Cab cups like it does with the PF-20 ?.
    I cannot really tell by looking at the image Jimmy.

johnpbass likes this.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I have a bunch of adapter boards that I use for stacking equipment. I make them out of ¾” ply or ¼” particle board. I buy a small sheet and get it cut to size at Home Depot. Paint it or cover it with fabric store vinyl.

I mark the rectangle around the handle, drill out the corners, then cut a hole with a jig saw. Even easier is to make a spacer with a cutout for the handle with dense rubber interlocking floor mats sold at hardware stores, cut to size.

Rubber
    F54045F6-E503-43EB-82F5-9E9E69F543EA.

Particle board
    7D21C006-4A27-4926-98D0-8FE2A63F3B65.

3. Ok. I'm getting hold of a PF50T next week, but I want someone (JimmyM?) to reassure me I'm on the right track. For gigs where the Ampeg is not going to be grunty enough, I envisage running a cable from the transformer line out to the effects return (1/4") on my 500watt AI Clarus Series 4 head, from that to the speaker cabs. This should give me the tube and transformer tone of the PF and the grunt of the D class head. I've been playing since 1963 and this is the first time I ever tried to use more than one amp at a time. Cheers.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The 20T fits perfectly on the top of the SVT210AV as you know. The 50T the feet sit half on the cab and half off on either side(assuming you use slightly taller feet to clear the handle). It makes me a bit nervous, but its probably not a big deal. The 210AV's get loud for their size, but they don't get earth shaking loud, so the head isn't likely to vibrate off or anything... I'd just be worried about someone bumping it.

Briton likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can do that, Marty. You will have the Clarus' SS power amp injecting its tone so it won't be as rich as just using the PF-50T as is, but it will certainly be better than just running your Clarus as is, all due respect to AI who makes fine amps...I'm just a tube snob. But it will sound every bit as good as it does going direct into a SS PA. Personally, though, if a gig has PA for the bass, I'd give them the tranny out and take the slight hit on not having the power amp in my amp. It's a considerably hotter signal from the pre/post DI, but you may find that beneficial. Then again, you may not :D But I've tried it into one of my amps from both DI's and it works. You'll need one of those transformer doohickeys for the end of your mic cable to transform it from low to high, though.

You have a few years on me but I've never used two amps, either. Got in enough trouble over volume with just one :D

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  6. Cheers Jimmy.

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  7. So I walked into a long and McQuade and found a pf20T with a pf210... Right next to a flea sig Jazz. Of course I tried the whole thing out. So for sng I looked at the price tag, being sort of on the lookout for a small, low volume, but high tone rig (and this was very high tone and high playability) for the shoebox I call home. Of course the whole thing cost as much as my car. I drove home without it, but it still took some effort :( . The flea Jazz Bass is darn good, and ampeg knew what they were doing when they made that amp.

ToddOfThunder, JimmyM and johnpbass like this.
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    My 20T sits very nicely on my pair of 112AVs and sounds GREAT I might add:D. Some of you "big rig" guys will laugh but it's amazing how much volume a 20 watt amp puts out through a pair of 12s.

Jayhawk, rllefebv and High Camp like this.
  9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I dig the pedal board setup too Jimmy! What's on there?

ToddOfThunder and JimmyM like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Top L-R: TC Tuner, Broughton HPF, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, MXR 6 Band EQ, Line 6 G70.

Bottom L-R: Broughton LPF, MXR Bass Distortion (I know it's plum but the color got washed out), Ampeg Scrambler, Boss OC-2, EHX Pitch Fork, Southampton All Things Equal boost v1.