1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOT AMPEG NEWS! PF20T, PF50T, PF112HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by High Camp, Sep 3, 2015.

1. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Let me be clear about one thing: It's all Jimmy's fault !!!
    Why did he have to do that soundclip comp between theses two cabs?
    Been listening to those clips really a lot, which set me off on this slippery slope.
    I love it :bassist:

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    If you can't decide: the SVT210AV is 100 Dollars cheaper than the PF112HLF.

ToddOfThunder and johnpbass like this.
  3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would also recommend the SVT210AV with the PF20T. Great match! If you put slightly taller feet on the head it fits perfectly on top of the cabinet and looks great too.

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So in order of low end response from high to low, it goes 112hlf, 210he, 115he, 115lf. The 112hlf is not quite as deep as an 810e or double baffle B-15 cab from the 60's and the 210he is slightly deeper than the 810e and B-15, but both are closer to that tonal frame of reference. The 115he goes noticeably lower than all of them, and it's pretty amazing they could get that much low end out of a sealed 115 cab. The 115lf is just crazy lows, more like the 410hlf. As you go up in frequency range, other than the 115lf not having a tweeter, there are some minor differences but they're less dramatic, and they all have a Portaflex vibe to my ears. But the 115's are for fans of huge low end so they're probably not what you're looking for. I think for a mancave the 112hlf or 210av would suit you fine.

However, if you want to go deluxe mancave style, my good friend Mark Gandenberger at Vintage Blue makes amazing repro double baffle B-15 cabs that are actually much better than the originals for build quality. They used his re-design for the Heritage B-15's, and he does occasional special projects for Ampeg as well. Throw an Eminence Delta 15a in it and it'll sound just like my 64 cab with an Ampeg labeled CTS. Costs more but not unreasonable for handmade artistry. Only thing is he shuts down work during the winter so you'd probably have to order soon to avoid having to wait till spring.

Or you could get a PF cab...all good choices. Just thought I'd throw Mark out there as a possibility if you want to go deluxe.

5. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Great info, Thanks !

JimmyM likes this.
  6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    They all sound great.
    On a practical note, the SVT210AV has the smallest footprint and is higher (24 inch) than the PF112HLF (24 inch is an ideal cab-hight to be able meddle with the head when seated, without bending over)
    For more loudness you could go with the PF210HE, PF115HE and PF115HLF.

You know what? They're all great, I can't really pick a "best" cab, every pick is a winner.
    (I didn't really help, did I?)

lowplaces likes this.
  7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have the PF50T and a pair of PF112HLF cabs I used it last night with a semi hard hitting drummer and a guitar player that Knows how to use his volume control . The rig sounded great Plenty of bottom and low mids and decent upper mids and highs but no sizzle had the horns off. Cut through nicely and was not close to breakup.

ToddOfThunder, scotch and JimmyM like this.
  8. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Yeah, I've noted on the spec sheets sensitivity figures of 99dB/1m1W for those and 3dB less for the 112HLF - my GS210 even has 102dB.
    I really would prefer a lower sensitivity of the cab to be able to drive the amp a bit more.
    In the context of a mancave cab, less is more !

ToddOfThunder and High Camp like this.
  9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Just finished 3 days in the studio with the PF50T, an SVT210AV and my trusty '96 P bass(with Labella Flats). I started off using the transformer out(into an 1176), but the DI had some noise and the engineer ended up going with a JDI. We mic'ed the cab though and the combination sounded fantastic. Still love this head a LOT. Think I'll have the noise mod done soon.

ToddOfThunder, High Camp and mbelue like this.
  10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Did you try the other DI also ?

11. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    There's a noise mod? What are the details on that?

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  13. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Off-the-wall question, I realize... but it's PF-50T-related Many apologies if this has been covered already, but a quick search turned up nothing for me.

Anyone have any idea how a PF-50T paired with a PF-115HE would sound running a 12-string electric gu***r (gasp!) through it? My idea would be to get somewhere in the neighborhood of a Roger McGuinn "chimey" sound. Obviously, for that kind of sound some compression will be required. I'll be using either an actual Rickenbacker 360, or an Ibanez AR-112.
    Just wondering if anyone has any real-world experience, or just some thoughts.
    I already have the PF-50T & PF-115HE end of things covered... it's my favorite bass amplification system. Currently working on acquiring a decent 12-string.
    Thank you in advance...

High Camp likes this.
  14. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    There is a post out there of someone playing electric guitar over a pF50T (with a Portaflex cab IIRC), which sounds pretty awesome.
    Also to be seen at the Ampeg FB page (although it's a while back).

cazclocker likes this.
  15. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands

Well it's a PF20T, but it's close enough for me :D

Jefenator, cazclocker and lowplaces like this.
  16. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Had the PF50T out on a blues/r&b gig tonight. Really good FOH at the venue so I only brought a single SVT210AV cabinet. Killed it. Just fantastic sound using the transformer DI to the house.

PF50TSVT210AV.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  17. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've used a PF50T/PF112HLF for a guitar gig and it sounds great - clean - chimey - and articulate. The first time I used it, I did stuff a towel in the port in the PF112 as the low E and F on the guitar were uncontrollable - even with palm-muting. It sounded great after that - but there is no port to close off in the PF115HE - so I know the head will work - I just don't know about your cab.

cazclocker likes this.
  18. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Bass 45, thanks for that. Interesting about your low E & F... when you say "uncontrollable", I'm assuming you mean "too boomy", but please correct me if I'm wrong. I had never thought about stuffing a port with a towel in a port! Good ideal...

19. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just ordered a couple of reissue Mullard 12AX7/ECC83's for the PF50T. Tube rolling is a dangerous and expensive road haha ;)

KUETSUM likes this.
  20. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes - until I blocked the port the low notes where too boomy - and they had a long decay time - even when palm muting (this was with the ultra low off and the bass cut to about 10:30).

cazclocker likes this.