1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hot Dang, we're big city folk now - Fretworks! is opening today.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flux Jetson, Jul 12, 2012.

1. We got us a Fretworks! opening here today. I've never heard of them but it seems it's a chain store. We've NEVER had a music chain store here ... wonder how long they'll remain open! Haahaa!

Are they like any of the other McGuitar Stores? Will I actually find bass strings there for less than full-blown MSRP?

We have a little ma-n-pa music store here, they get full-on MSRP for everything. Elixer 6-string bass sets = $106 per set. Squier-P = like $750.00 or something like that. I buy picks there when I'm in a hurt ($2.50 each).

So I hope this new Fretworks! will be a little more affordable, and carry more than 4 guitars and 2 basses.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was wondering if it was the same Fretworks we have here in Greenwood! Small world :)

But yeah, it's a very small shop with the usual $299 guitars & basses. They don't have much in the store, but they can order it for you. Problem is, I can order it too. And with Amazon Prime I can have it next day for a good bit less than they sell it for.

String prices are a bit higher than places like Bass Strings Online or Musicians Friend, but not full MSRP. At least you don't get raped if you have to have a set that day. They have a few sets of Elixer and D'Addario, maybe a DR or two. That's about it.

3. Yea, their website lists Elixirs for $44 for 4-string lights. I suppose that's better than $85! But they're in the city, so city-rate sales tax applies. And like you said, I can order something just as easily many times with free shipping.

Makes you wonder why small time retailers even bother. In cities that are small, yet large enough to have decent UPS/Fed-Ex service there's really no way to keep the lights on.

Like I was saying, I wonder how long they'll remain open here. We have really great UPS/Fed-Ex service due to the local agricultural industry .. so as a small retailer it seems futile to compete with internet availabilty if you're not a retail chain or a service provider of some sort.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fretworks does a good bit of repair work here, as well as lessons so that's probably their main gig. The guitar player in my band takes his guitar there quite a bit for minor repairs and upgrades all the time. Stuff I could do in my sleep, but I guess it's different working on somebody else's guitar than my own. It doesn't matter so much if I screw up my own guitar :)

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Hey Flux, come on in and say "Hi"! We actually saved a local bassist a few bucks yesterday over what he would have paid off Juststrings on Elixirs, and what we stock in Yuma isn't just a mirror for what the SC store stocks.

I'm the, for lack of a better term, guitar and bass guy out at Fretworks, and we're looking to serve the musical community in a way that's been lacking in recent decades. Yuma deserves much better than what we're used to! Hopefully we'll see you soon :)

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yuma is quite a bit bigger than our little southern small town here (we have about 1/4 the population) so like Walter said, it's probably a good bit bigger than ours.

7. Well I'll be dipped!

You will most certainly see me there! If you can do better than De-Bells or Noah's you will do just fine! I just hope there is enough to keep you going during the summer months. That's the acid test around here ... as you already know this place goes ghost-town on us until October when the agricutural people come back and the snowbirds arrive. Then our population triples.

I'll be certain to come in ... you're opening today, right? I havre to hit Home Depot so we'll pop in. I know today is your "soft opening" but that's cool.

8. Walter, I see you're also into headless basses. Cool .. I may be building one soon.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Actually, we've been open for a week! And before then, we had walk-ins and such coming in and seeing what was up. I'm actually pretty curious to see what our customer base looks like once the 'birds hit again. We've had quite a few people come in from the retirement communities and such already. Yesterday an older gentleman came in to take a look after finding out what his '68 ES-335 was worth, and wondering if we might be interested in buying his '53 Tele!

And I'm ALL about headless basses. I've been a huge fan since I first picked up my Steinberger, and would love to stock some. We're still figuring out what Yuma likes to buy, seeing as to, well, it's been a long time since there's been a musician-friendly music store in town. We get enough interest in anything, we'll stock it. Rick (owner) is already pleasantly surprised at the local interest in separate heads and cabs rather than combos, and the number of 5-string players in town. We'll see what happens, and if there's anything you'd love to see in-store, let us know. Looking forward to meeting a fellow TB'er today :hyper:

10. Right on! This is sounding great. We haven't has a decent music store here in DECADES. Maybe if ever, to be honest. There's a rather decent contingent of gospel/jazz type musicians just over the Mexican border that might do you some good as well. Your location ROCKS in that respect as well. Being right there in the "New Mall" and such.

Check your PMs..

:)

11. I just got home after spending several hours in FRETWORKS! Yuma location. It's easily the best music store we've had here since 1984. I was pretty amazed at the level of inventory they were sportin'. I got to lay hands on several basses, and Walter tolerated my presence with grace and a smile the entire time. I spent a few hours noodling and molesting a number of basses with my caveman-with-a-club bass technique as well as bugging Walter with mind-numbing stories, even so I was treated as a valued customer the entire time ... even though I didn't spend a dime. They have a nice Jazz Squier that I have my eye on for sure! I had just left the doctor's office (and had to pay for the visit) so I was short on cash-hish, otherwise it would have come home with me!

It was quite refreshing to spend time in a music store that had friendly staff, and a really nice inventory of the kind of stuff that real world players need access too. Walter knows his poo and the rest of the on-duty staff (3 others) were just as helpful and able as well. Friendly folks with a genuine desire to see their customers happy.

I see on their website they are as competitive as anyone in the internet retail music business. If you have no special reason to buy from any specific web retailer I'd say give them a chance. :)

Wow .. totally cool. It will be a good thing to have them around after living here for 30+ years and dealing with some really lousy "attempts" at music stores here in the past. If I were a healthier person I'm sure I would be hanging out there several times per week. Hell, I might even spend some money now and then! :)

I wish them all the luck and good fortune in the world on their efforts here in this small town of ours. It's great to have them around.

12. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    My experience with Fretworks! wasn't a very satisfied one. I love the fact that we finally have an actual guitar store in town!! Noah's was OK but they closed down. Debell's sucks donkey balls, and Johnson's is really cool but it's over by the marine base and his place is too small for the TONS of guitars that he has. Not many basses though. The cool thing about Johnson's is that he's an actual Luthier and Guitar Tech so his repair work is always very precise. I can't compare Johnson's repair work with Fretworks! because well, Fretworks! didn't do any repairs for me which was very unsatisfactory. Their customer service is great no doubt a 10/10, and their store is really nice with about 6 basses which is a big step from Debell's 2 beat up, old, 3 string basses selling at MSRP :) I had my bass at Fretworks! For 5 days until I went out there and just picked it up since I had a show coming up and the repair work needed wasn't necessarily dire and I needed to break in new strings for the show. I understand that since they just opened up they're being bombarded with work and students are rushing in to get their horns for school, but I was expecting a first come first serve since it appeared to me the students were being placed at a higher priority than others. I wasn't planning on going back there, but seeing that Walter here is actually a TBer, I'm willing to give it another shot once "band season" slows down. Welcome to Yuma Walter and Fretworks! glad to have you here!