Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot Deal - New 2x10 Birch Cab Loaded for $75!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey Tbers,

Once again, here is another deal that Quad has found :D . Based upon the great feedback that the Steelsound 2x12 has been getting, I went to their site to take a peak just out of curiousity. While there, I saw that the had the 2x10 version of this cab on sale (thru 8/20) for $75!!! It's a braced, 13 ply birch cab with 2 - Madison 50oz magnet 10's and a horn tweeter. The specs say it goes down to 40hz, which is damn good for a 2x10...

I already have a pretty nice Avatar 2x10, so I'm not in need. For those looking for a bargain 2x10, this may be your ticket. Please post a review of it.

Link to $75 2x10

2. Amazing.

I paid $50 each for 60x60" Baltic Birch, 3/4" and 13-ply. Add in the price of labor, drivers, horn, covering...

My son-in-law is in the cabinet business, and only pays a few dollars less for 3/4" Baltic Birch. Knowing this, one has to ask if the "birch" used in the above cabinet is the cheap Asian stuff, or the "good stuff." Not that it really matters in a 2x10, but I'm still amazed at the low selling price vs cost of materials.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I know, it's crazy, isn't it? I feel like I need to buy one just to find out, but I'm saving for other things right now (Thunderfunk head and Schroeder cab), so I'm going to have to pass...

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    has anyone tried their pa speakers?
    would they be any good?
    How does talkbass like the madison drivers?

thanks,
    danman

5. Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered one. $109 shipped to my door. Been looking for something small to use at home. I was really tempted to buy two of them but I resisted the urge and I wanted to avoid having to try to explain two large boxes in the driveway to the wife.

Jeff

6. In my research, not much 13 ply birch asian board is "cheap". In fact, the source material is usually from Russia, makers of that real good 13 ply birch.

If anything, it's domestic (US derived) ply that is the cheap stuff. lower ply count, and full of voids for ridiculous money.

Mon

7. And then I will try Jeff's, and then love it and buy mine.

8. Yes. And if I get it fast enough and like it enough I may buy one more and throw my Classic 400 on top of em both.

9. And then i will steal your rig and leave you a nice 10 watt Gorilla. :p

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I echo this. I am building a small home unit with a
    Peerless 1759 4 ohm 1x10, and it is costing me way more than this. :bawl:

And I used 3/4 finished maple ply which was on sale
    last year at home depot, still over 30 bucks. Add up
    the hardware pieced together here and there and all the
    shipping charges, and I could have bought 2 of these cabs and had money left over.

SS has some excellent deals. I was ordering some parts
    last month, and bought a mic stand for 14.99, similar
    to what GC puts on sale for 39. Shipping didn't add more than
    5 bucks. They also have a great 1/4" locking jack, that
    they were often out of. Fits in a 13/64" hole with a slight
    route.

If I added in the price of my labor, I wouldn't build at all.
    :rolleyes:

11. Well that's the beauty of this and Avatar type cabs...the shells are all the exact same dims, it's just a baffle board (also the same size, but differently configured) and possibly a different length port shelf that differs the cabs....they cut all day at high yield, and lower cost...

(but you all knew this)

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, other wise I'd be gittin into some other kind of
    trouble, drinkin likker, chassin' wimmen, fancy outo-mobeelz ...

13. Ah yes. The mighty Gorilla! I have my bro's dead Gorilla guitar amp sitting in my basement now. Good times.

14. ;) I hear ya.

Heck, I work at a cabinet maker and STILL design my own and buy my materials, so I feel yer pain.

Mon

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have some of their PA speakers (with Madison drivers) and they were okay for the money, but nothing great.

I was actually in their store (had a bad experience, but that's not relevant for this discussion) a couple of weeks ago and I heard their Legion Sound pa speakers being demo'd. I was decidedly less than impressed, to be honest, but it may have been due to a poor setup or something along those lines. The speakers were muddy and there was noticeable high frequency breakup.

While there, I looked at the Madison 2x10 cabs that were selling for $269.00. At that price, you can get better cabs so I think they may be in danger of pricing some of their products out of their market.

Just my .02.

16. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I ordered 2 Madison 12 inch drivers and the only thing that they were better than was no sound at all. :spit:
    Inefficient, toneless, no hi freq response, dull, lifeless...need I go on???
    Serious crap. Save your money.
    Not even as good as Eminence and we all know how I feel about Eminence.
    Not even as good as the old CTS ceramics which were pretty poor.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true, true, true. While this may be a "workable alternative to real quality for the broke," you can have my Schroeder 1210 and 410 when you can pry them from my cold dead hands.

Except not, because I'm taking them with me.

Go buy junk like this, and wish it worked half as good as anything worth paying for. You won't get your money back out of it in the used market.

Good tools are always worth paying more for, there is no exception to that rule. Do a good job with crappy tools, and it takes longer, is way more frustrating, and way less enjoyable. Do a good job with the right tool, and get it done faster, more efficiently, and have way more fun.

I can't tell you how much the fun factor in bass playing has gone up since I bought the Schroeders.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can buy a brand new KIA for $8k. I don't know why anyone would, but you can.

19. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I own 2 of their Monitors... :spit: . I bought them from a former bandmate who was selling them through a musical equipment website he had...Messed with them and messed with them but couldn't get them dialed in...I will be selling them on consignment at a local store shortly as they now sit in the rehersal studio, against a wall, doing nothing.

20. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill