Hot Dogs, Cops, and Wal*Mart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hope the police are doing this in your area. They are patrolling large parking lots to see if anyone is leaving there dog in the car without air/etc. If your dog is in the car for more than 15 minutes in a car that isn't running with A/C you get hit with a heavy duty fine. Sound lame? Well, today the police found a dog that had died in the car because it was so hot...
  2. Wish they would do that for kids too... every summer you hear of someone leaving their kid in the car "just for a little while" and come back to find a dead kid.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's a good idea, i think. it's cruel to keep'em in the sweltering, fatal heat.

(and why can't the dogs just stay at home? i'm not a dog owner, so i don't know why people would bring them to stores in the first place.)
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Those people should have their kids or dogs taken away from them for that. I remember some kids on Phish tours would break car windows for this same thing - feel free to leave a nasty note also...
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    There are no fines about it down here in Tucson, you go to jail! Doesn't matter if its kids or animals. You either have criminal negligence or cruelty to animals and both will put you in jail.

Unfortunately, we have idiots every year down here get arrested for one or the other. :scowl:
  6. In Australia, I am pretty sure they are allowed to use any means needed to remove an animal or children from a hot car. Infact I'm pretty sure we had adverts on TV, the message was to dob in these people leaving animals (to the RSPCA), and or children (to the Police) in hot cars.

Winter here at the moment so no need to worry about that too much at the moment. If you leave your animals in the car, even just for a second- please leave the windows down, and ensure they have fresh water. And never leave your kids in the car, unless of course they are old enough to look after themselfs.
  7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Not at all. As long as the police force has the funding to assign these duties without taking away from other cops on patrol, it's a great service. Anyone who would leave their kid or dog in a hot vehicle for any longer than it takes to throw a rented movie into the return slot at your local Blockbuster deserves to have their car window smashed open by the state and a hefty fine on top.
  8. A year or so ago I had to run out to my car sometime after lunch. I heard a dog barking in the parking lot and it sounded like the dog was in a car. I didn't have time to look for him, but when I got back to my office I called the cops. They said there was nothing they could do- it wasn't illegal. :meh: