1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hot Pockets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GuiTuber, Apr 1, 2015.

1. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    When it rains it pours. I no sooner do I get put over a barrel by AT&T (see my "Next" thread) when I go to the store and find something really over the top.

Hot Pockets come two to a box for $1.98. But wait! There's a value pack! 5 for $5!

Are we all really getting that screwed that merchants think we just don't care anymore?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm personally not a fan of the garlic butter crust that seems like every type of Hot Pocket has now. I just want the old school Hot Pocket.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

jerry and MJ5150 like this.
  4. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    That was funny right there. I don't care who ya are, that was funny right there.

5. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    Caliente Pocket!

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Raman noodles are priced the same way here at 'Mars' supermarkets.

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    It's called cash cow syndrome. Phone plans, cable/satellite TV, convenience stores and car leasers, all milk unresistant victims of every penny they can squeeze out of them. Cows can choose other options but they count on them not doing so.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hot pockets suck. The bread to stuff inside ratio is all off. There's not enough cheesy goo to make them worth it.

Timmah likes this.
  10. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, but often times there is a disguise that hooks the victim into believing they got a good deal.

My example is not disguised at all. You want 5 Hot Pockets? You will pay 5 cents more for the 5th one. And they still call it a "value pack".

th?&id=HN.608052629574911354&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.

11. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    You are right . They also count on people thinking that bigger is automatically less per unit, sneeky crumbs that they are. At least one person is paying attention !

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, they don't say the value is for you. It's value for them.

-Mike

yodedude2, Gaolee and sissy kathy like this.
  13. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    It's all about perspective. :thumbsup:

14. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I like Hot Pockets, but I won't get them unless I have coupons for them. My grocer doubles the coupons, so I can get a two pack for a buck. Same with pretty much everything else we buy. I don't "coupon," but Kroger is nice enough to send me some in the mail, and they have a smart phone app that let's you pick them out while you shop.

15. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I used to work developing the graphics for retail packaging like that.

I can tell you the people who put that message on there were many, many layers removed from the people who priced the items in question at the point of sale.

I'm sure the manufacturer figured you WOULD be getting a deal...

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're righ, it's a scam all right, but maybe only at the retail level, not corporate.

White Castle restaurant used to do something similar, cracked me up. Three cheeseburgers, small fries and small drink value meal was $4.99 but buying them separately cost around $4.80. LOL

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Hot Pockets? Value? Does anybody but me see the disconnect that doesn't have anything to do with price?

White Castle, on the other hand, is a different story. My wife even found White Castle tolerable. That's a high culinary endorsement when it comes to fast food, since she generally won't set foot in a burger joint, let alone eat there.

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Exactly.

-Mike

18. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, I don't blame the Hot Pocket people. It just blows my mind that the retailer would price stuff this way. It blows me away even more that people will just buy the 5-pack because they don't want to hassle more than one box, which is where the retailer gets the idea that they can charge what they want because people will just buy it.

That's what I meant in my OP about the merchant getting over on their customers. Some people don't care. Some people don't even notice. It's capitalism at work.

By the way, I don't eat them. I was shopping with my wife the other day when I looked up and noticed the prices.

Our store likes to do a lot of get two for $X. You don't get any kind of a deal, it's all in the psychology of it. "2 for $5". One is still $2.50, but the suggestion of getting two helps them move product.

And the store's slogan is: "No store does more".

ChrisB2 likes this.
  19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Riiiiiggggggghhhhhht. Lemme guess, you only go to McDonalds for the free ATM, right? :)

-Mike

20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Well I eat'em; I find them to be a cheap, tasty, convenient and quick meal (except for the chicken broccoli, needs to be ham broccoli.)