Hot-Rod vs stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 21, 2000.

1. I'm looking for a new bass, and I've narrowed it down to two I like alot. The Fender Hotrod(or ed)p-bass and the MusicMan Stingray 4-string.

I usually play punk.
    I plan on stringing it BEAD.

2. recommendation: sack that BEAD tuning!

stingray - everytime.
  3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999

Would you kindly elucidate the various attributes of the Stingray, and how the are so superior to Hot Rodded P bass. How is this? Is it the preamp, the single honkin pickup or innovative - three inline and one opposing tuner thing? Maybe it's the color…nice! Inquiring minds want to know.

Hot Rod Owner Operator,

BTW - I love their volume pedals
  4. Maybe its the sound and the playability of the Stingray?
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't even own a StingRay but it has a number of advantages over the HR P-bass, which may or may not be of interest to a particular player.

#1 is the pickup. The huge humbucker at the bridge gives more highs than a P pickup but is much fatter than a J. It really has it's own massive sound, best described as "in your face" which for a punk player would be a good thing?

The active EQ is another big deal. The 2-band version is boost only and this is the classic StingRay sound, I don't know too many guys who don't have these knobs turned up quite a bit (the 3-band EQ version allows cut as well as boost and a mid control), in any event this allows for dialing in an even more massive sound than running with the EQ flat. Side by side with a P-bass, no contest, just an overall "bigger" sound, good for punk.

The rest of a StingRay is so much like a P-bass it aint funny, the overall shape of body and neck, etc.

Anyway, for the average punk player I'd advise a StingRay over the HR P-bass. For an "all around" guy, well, I'd lean back towards the P-bass.

6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Brain Roast,

I'll have to check out the MMSR again but I cant imagine using a more in your face sound than the HRP.

7. "Art, Would you kindly elucidate the various attributes of the Stingray, and how the are so superior to Hot Rodded P bass."

I can't as I've never played a Hot-Rodded P-bass. Is it evident that my comment is totally valueless.

Apologies if my comment got on your boobs.

I just love my Stingray and would recommend one to anyone (apart from people with very small hands).
  8. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I feel better now. I'm sure the Stingray is a fine machine.

9. Both basses would be great basses for punk, although more punk players in the lime-light play P-basses.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm sure you misspelled my name by accident :)

I am not insulting you or your bass, OK? I play P-basses myself and don't own a StingRay, so relax a bit.

It's hard to quantify "in your face" but I'd say bigger, fatter and more biting covers it. Go play one again.

A PJ setup with no EQ assist won't give you that, period. I've played plenty. The PJ is a silly compromise, the J pickup only thins out the overall tone when mixed with the P and on it's own it had nowhere near the balls of a StingRay's humbucker.

That's actually a GOOD THING for most players because it makes the bass work better in a lot of styles of music. The StingRay has a very aggressive tone and while great for rock and funk, it's a little too much for me in styles where a mellower bass tone is called or. I'm sure lots of StingRay fans will disagree, of course.

The original poster specified punk, and the aggressive tone of the StingRay will work well in that style. You may feel free to disagree. Like I said if the guy had said blues, country, almost anything except agressive rock, I'd have recommended the HR P-bass.

Does that make you feel better?
  11. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999

Ooops, I probably was a little over the top there. I'll admit it. And my Ed F name boggling imitation is again uncalled for. Sorry. Your message was as even handed as they come. I was wondering what kind of basses you had in your stable thanks for bringing that up. Inwardly I have a lot of respect for your posts. To bad I doesn’t show in my previous reply. Is that you on TBL too?

Couple that with the fact I still have the warm fuzzies from my purchase about a month ago and you get a rather unruly poster. Considering what a super deal I got on this ax, and that pickups are a lot hotter than other P/J's I have tried, it’s a wonder that I didn’t do more damage.

12. OOOOOHHHH, at Mars today I played a really good bass, especially for punk or rock. It's the Fender MIA Deluxe P-Bass. It has a P-pickup and a big fat humbucker in the bridge. Sounded really good in my honest opinion, especially for those types of music though. Probably wouldn't be to great in a jazz/R&B type of thing though...
  13. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If you decide you like the HR-P bass NOW!!!!Is the time to buy it.MF is blowing out the leftovers for 599 whsc.GREAT DEAL!!!Only a few left in sunset orange transparent(ash body)or oly white.Better get a move on.Good luck!
  14. I must admit the HRP bass does apeal to me.

it has a graphite composite neck does it not?

are they heavy? my ray is about 9.5 pounds and i dont want anything heavier than that.
  15. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The HR-P has graphite in the neck but is made from maple with a choice of rosewood or maple fret board.Good luck!
  16. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
  17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive owned fender p deluxe, and currently own a Stingray.
    I prefer the StingRay by far. BUT Ive played the NEW Fender US deluxe P bass with the double bridge pickup and I really liked it. I havent played it thru my setup but I maybe leaning towards the Fender alittle more than the Stingray as far as recommendations to someone else.
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If the price will help you decide, has the hot rod Pbass on closeout for about $600 w/ case. You can't beat that with a stick. Some people over on fenderforum have picked 'em up from MF, and they seem to be really happy with them.