Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot-Rodded 1001RB yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, May 22, 2003.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Does anyone know for sure when the new version of the GK 1001RB will be released, and where can we get them?

Thanks, Alan

2. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it is out!

from what I've heard from stores the 400RBIV is out

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    PM Daniel Elliot, he'll know (he works for GK)

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It would be cool if anyone has the new 1001 to tell us what you think and how it compares to the old 1001 or other GK's.

Thanks, Alan

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    or pics!! :meh:

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anyone?

7. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I already have the GK 400rbIV, so I would assume that the 1001rbII is already out. I got mine from the Guitar Center in Tempe.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is this the 1001RBII line?:bassist:

9. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Sam Ash has had the 400RBIV, 700RBII, 1001RBII out on their webpage for a while (since april or something), so I don't think it's anything new.

I don't see why they're not out...it wouldn't make sense for the 400 to come out and not all the other ones, since they should all have the same preamps, just different power ratings (right?). Maybe they're backordered, so no store has them yet? I dunno... but I definitely want to check them out or get a good deal on the original makes. :D

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I talked to my local retailer here in Tulsa and they didn't know anything about the new 1001rb. Seems GK isn't all that communicative with their dealers.

12. The new heads started shipping this month. Combos should follow shortly. I'm working on getting info to the independent dealers, but GC, Sam Ash MF and all those kinds of outlets already have inventory or will shortly.

Prices will not be increasing. Besides the looks and power differences, internally it's been beefed up so that it can take a tougher beating.

700 watts from an 18 pound amp is not too bad I think.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I played all of the new GK amps at the NAMM show and they sounded great.They sound fatter, quieter and have more heardroom than the previous models.The new SBX cabs are really good also.I've been gigging with my 2001RB(new model)for about six months and my 410 RBH for about eight months.I am quite happy with my tone and have had no reliability problems whatsoever. :bassist:

14. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Daniel and Cantstandsya for the info. I'm a long-term GK user (800RB for 15 years) looking for more power at 8ohms. I assume the 1001RB can do the 800RB sound as well as others. True?

Alan

15. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    True to an extent. It's going to sound like GK, but a bit different than the 800RB. Judging by your thoughts on the 800RB, I think you'll like what you hear.

16. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    If you set the 4/5 string button to 4-string and the contour and presence at either 0 or 10 the 1001RB as well as the other GK heads will be voiced exactly like an 800RB.

17. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is the 4/5 string button some kind of low-end boost? I assume the presence controls the high highs. Variable contour sounds like a good idea, on the 800rb, on is too much and off is not enough IMO.

18. I agree, I thought the variable contour control was a great idea and I find it very useful. The 4/5 string switch is a deep switch. I don't know why bob didn't call it a deep switch, but that's the way it is I suppose. It boosts signal at 30hz. The presence control effects signal at about 7khz.

19. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Daniel, were any mods done that would change the reliability factor?

Thanks, Alan

20. yes, we added additional bracing to the preamp board and changed the design of the input jack so it will not wear out. Higher quality electronic components with a tighter design tolerance. etc.