Hot-rodded American Fender vs. Roscoe Beck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jan 14, 2003.

1. A Fender question: I already own a Roscoe Beck 5-string Fender, which is great for vintage sounds. However, my particular RB 5 is not capable of modern, bright sounds.

So I've bought a Fender American Standard 5-string Jazz, which should arrive today. It has an alder body an rosewood board, and has been hot-rodded with Noiseless pickups and a J-retro onboard preamp.

Has anyone heard/compared a Fender with a high-end active preamp and great pickups next to a Roscoe Beck 5? The new bass should be able to get the "modern" tones I've been missing, right?
  2. I know that alder/rosewood is not the best "brightness recipe" compared to ash/maple.

The deal was just too perfect to pass up!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Surely the point of a J-Retro pre-amp is to get closer to "vintage" sounds? :confused:

Most Fenders are about getting that vintage sound from records - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "modern" sounds - but I tend to think of graphite or composite basses like Status, Modulus etc ?

Not Fender!!
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO a powered onboard preamp precludes the concept of "vintage" sounds. Anyone who is interested in "retro" or "vintage" sound has no business using anything but a passive bass. Just my opinion, again.
  5. . . . controversy here.

I just want to know whether the Jazz with the Noiseless pu's and very versatile preamp will be capable of sounding _more_ modern than the RB5.

And when I think of "modern", I think about things like noiseless pickups with near-single-coil tone, a preamp with sweepable midrange, more treble control and response, etc.

I know that if I really wanted a SUPER-modern tone, I'd be buying a Spalt Terminator or something!!!
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would think so, but you never know what you're going to get till you play it.