1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hot-rodded American Fender vs. Roscoe Beck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jan 14, 2003.

1. A Fender question: I already own a Roscoe Beck 5-string Fender, which is great for vintage sounds. However, my particular RB 5 is not capable of modern, bright sounds.

So I've bought a Fender American Standard 5-string Jazz, which should arrive today. It has an alder body an rosewood board, and has been hot-rodded with Noiseless pickups and a J-retro onboard preamp.

Has anyone heard/compared a Fender with a high-end active preamp and great pickups next to a Roscoe Beck 5? The new bass should be able to get the "modern" tones I've been missing, right?

2. I know that alder/rosewood is not the best "brightness recipe" compared to ash/maple.

The deal was just too perfect to pass up!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Surely the point of a J-Retro pre-amp is to get closer to "vintage" sounds? :confused:

Most Fenders are about getting that vintage sound from records - I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "modern" sounds - but I tend to think of graphite or composite basses like Status, Modulus etc ?

Not Fender!!

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO a powered onboard preamp precludes the concept of "vintage" sounds. Anyone who is interested in "retro" or "vintage" sound has no business using anything but a passive bass. Just my opinion, again.

5. . . . controversy here.

I just want to know whether the Jazz with the Noiseless pu's and very versatile preamp will be capable of sounding _more_ modern than the RB5.

And when I think of "modern", I think about things like noiseless pickups with near-single-coil tone, a preamp with sweepable midrange, more treble control and response, etc.

I know that if I really wanted a SUPER-modern tone, I'd be buying a Spalt Terminator or something!!!

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would think so, but you never know what you're going to get till you play it.