Hot Rodded Essex Basses - Pics & Stories!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 6, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, im looking to build my very own essex franken - bass, and i was wondering if you could show us your current and finished projects for a little inspiration!

but, is there anything i should know before i start my project? this would be my first project, and i am gonna get help from my bass teacher.

If you could please say what you did to it, and how much it cost you, it would be much appreciated!

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Damn! Essex basses seem to be the new standard, eh? I never even heard of them until a few weeks ago and now everyone's gettin' one!

Good luck on your Frankenbass, dude!
  3. I got my Essex SJB-62 a couple months ago. I don't have any recent pictures of it, because I added a significant upgrade to it over the weekend.

But so far, I've added a high mass bridge, and swapped the neck from the Maple/ Rosewood Jazz neck to a Solid maple P neck. I plan on dropping in a J-Retro when I get the money for one. The Dude is in Santa Rosa, which is about an hours drive from here, so I think I'll hit him up for the install. I have a black pcikguard coming, and I'm thinking about putting a P pick up in the neck slot. That will take some routing, and a custom pickguard, but I think it will be worth the trouble.

I'll be getting a set of straplocks for it, but that pretty much goes without saying.

I've got some pics on my website, along with pics and rundowns on my other basses, too.

Check it out, and I apologize in advance for the popups.