Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot rodding a P-bass (resale value)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Can any of you Fender guru's tell me if adding a J pup to an American P-bass will hurt the resale value? It's a 2005 model so it's not exactly pricless. I was thinking about giving it a little face lift.

:bassist:

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It's a run-of-the-mill P-Bass?
    I would say that assuming the job is done well and the bass is in good playing condition (straight neck, good frets, etc.), you won't lose much if you resell.
    Fenders are always in demand with players, collectors just won't care about a 2005 specimen (for a few decades, anyway), and some players would pay more for the extra pickup (you'd be saving them money on the pickup itself and its installation).
    Just make sure the job is done well, as I said.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    +1

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Without exception any modification whatsoever to a USA Fender lessens resale value. The amount of value lost seems to be inversely proportional to the age of the instrument. By that I mean a new pickup on a '90 bass won't negatively impact the value of the instrument as much as a pickup replacement on a '75 for example.

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I agree with Philbiker.

In addition, there are already P Bass models with a jazz pickup (P Bass deluxe) which are cheaper than your American P bass. (That may affect the market demand for your 'hybrid').

An American made Fender stock instrument (or one that can be reverted to stock easily, especially if you kept all the original parts) seems to have the best resale value.

If you really want the extra pickup, put it in (or get a P Bass Deluxe). As long as that is what you really want, getting your sound is probably more important than resale value (unless it's an expensive vintage bass).

I'm not an expert on resale values, these are just my own obeservations.

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    You could just be bad ass and buy a new body if you're THAT worried about resale value. There's a few of those Hartke Vaccaro's (pretty decent) floating around on ebay for 50, and they are all ready routed to P/J.
    Also, if you're looking for that sound of the P/J, just do it, whats the worst that can happen. When you decide to resale your pj its sold for 100 less? If that means making you happier for the next 2-3 years (potentially) go for it!

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Do you want to modify the tone or just feel like doing something different? That's not a slam, I feel both ways at times.

I like P basses as they were built, so I would never buy one with a J pick-up added. Also, the thought of taking a router to a bass gives me the heebie jeebies.

Try to find an old Raven labs P bass preamp. It's a non intrusive way to expand your P.

Matt

8. if you just want a cheep way to get a p/j bass, buy an ibanez sr400

lowsound

9. :cool: Don't worry about it. It's your bass, do what you want to. Just make sure that it's always a quality job. That way, it may or may not hurt you later should you decide to sell it. The actual selling price will depend upon the buyers that are in the market at the time you sell it.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Sammy said!

One exception: if the purpose of this bass is to sit in a closet for 25 years only to be resold later, then you'll want to leave it stock. :p

11. Right now this is the only bass I have for my personal use. I love P-basses but it would be nice to have a little more versatility in tone. I'm probably going to stick an Dimarzio Ultra- Jazz in the bridge position.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you don't have experience and expertise routing precisely like this I'd recommend having a qualified luthier do the work.

If resale value is important to you (you did put it in the title of this thread after all), consider buying a body, Musician's Friend has some genuine Fender bodies in their clearance section right now including a Vintage '57 two tone sunburst that looks goregeous. That way you can go back to all original easily.

All the basses that are now valuable for being vintage were once new and not particularly valuable. Personally I would not modify a Fender, but that's just me. If you buy the body and have that routed and installed, you're still just some screwing and soldiering away from back to all original.

-Phil

13. ?????? :eek:

Check my signature below. I build basses and have routed pickup cavities many times. :D

I hear you though. If I didn't have the experience I wouldn't take the chance. That would make for a bad day if I ruined that pretty black finish.

I'll probably be keeping this bass for a good while since all my spare cash goes into my business. I just finished building a bass for myself and someone offered to buy it a week after it was complete. Got to do what I can to get my name out there. :bassist: So, this P-bass and I are going to be together for a while.

I've decided to go for it. Thanks for all the responses to my post.