Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot rodding vs. brand new instrument?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I'm not sure if I should hotrod my existing Samick P Bass copy 4 string, or if I should buy a new one. If I were to buy a new bass, it would be an Ibanez EDC705, Gary Willis Signature, or a BTB406, OR a Dean Edge Q6. If I were to hotrod my existing one, what are some parts I should add to it (active electronics, fretless neck, etc.)?

2. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    if its just a copy, then i would just hot rod some stuff and thats all. its not worth the cash. i would buy a new bass (im not particularly a ibanez and dean fan). then with the money eft over, sink it into the samick copy. and as far as what you are thinking of modifying, it depends on your style and/or sound you are striving to get.

i had a squier precision bass. not exactly the best out there. but then i bought a fender american jazz deluxe. so what was i to do with the squier, sell it, yea right! i wanted to improve the sound from the korean pickups, yet not loose the precision bass sound. so, i bought fender custom shop '62 precision pickups and replaced them, and put in new good ol' american pots. there was still one problem, it said squier in the headstock. haha. thankfully i tracked down '62 fender "spaghetti" dual pat. decal and my father has a wood shop. sanded off the screen print, put about 4 coats of polly urithane, applied the decal and went to town. i took it to the local guitar shop, and the workers (who know what they are doing) were actually impressed on how it looked. and yes, it sounds really good!

3. I'd go ahead and just get a new bass. I personally like hotrodding, but in order to make a decent hot rodded bass, you need a good bass to begin with.

Samick isn't a very highly rated bass. It's a good beginner bass, but if you want something thats good enough to upgrade, why not get an Essex? They are extremely affordable, highly upgradable, and are very good quality basses.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Time for a new one. Take your time and find a good one

Rob

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah, don't be like me and buy and Ibanez only to sell it 3 months later :rolleyes:

Do some research, find the bass you really want, and save up the money (if you don't have enough for one right now)

It may take some extra time to get a more expensive one, but I'm sure you'll be a lot happier.

(BTW, I sold my Ibanez EDB605 which wasn't a bad bass, but i felt it just wasn't great, and improved to a Warwick Corvette :) (which should arrive in a few days. I can't stand it. Too many days without playing a bass, grrr :mad: )