Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hot Snakes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I was wondering if anyone's heard of this group?

It was a band put together by John Reis (Speedo of RFTC) and Rick Froberg (who,like Reis was in Drive like Jehu) along with Gar Wood and Jason Kourkounis (of Delta 72 fame). They put out a couple of albums. They're a little weird, and are just a side project (no touring for them).

I picked up their album on a whim and listened through it. The first half didn't really grab me, but it got more interesting. The second half has some pretty solid rock songs. Solid enough to warrant a second listen. They seem like the kind of band all the nouveau-emo kids and rockers would like. They have that early 90's alternative feel mixed with underground hardcore. Reminiscent of Dinosaur Jr. (but aren't they all).

Also, Kill Sadie, are worth checking out.

2. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    I'm always shocked at how few people seem to have heard of this band. I would have thought that at least the RFTC/Drive Like Jehu connection would have more people interested.

Anyway, great band. They more or less remind me of a less mathy more rockin Drive Like Jehu. I have both albums but I've managed to miss all my chances to see them live (pitiful considering I used to live in San Diego).

They did do a tour a couple of years ago but so far as I know currently they're all focused on doing whatever it is they normally do.

Which album do you have?

3. Isn't one of the old DLJ guys a semi-big music producer now? The name slips me though :meh:

4. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Their drummer, Mark Trombino.

Yeah, he's become pretty big.

5. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I got "Suicide Invoice".

Also, I picked up this EP by Jesus and the Devil, they're interesting too.

6. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    does anyone know what set up Gar uses? just curious!

7. Yeah, they're rad. Saw them a couple times a few years back and they killed it. Bummed they're no more but Reis' latest project is The Night Marchers and Froberg has Obits going on now. Neither are as good as Jehu/Hot Snakes, IMO but both are good.

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Do you remember any rig/pedal facts from seeing them live?

so jealous btw. :spit:

9. SO good. Suicide Invoice is fantastic. The Night Marchers are pretty great too.

10. No, not really. Froberg played a Jag/Tele, Reis played a Les Paul and Gar played a Music Master or bullet. Don't remember if it was long or short scale but it had those weird tiny P pickups. Could be something else. I don't know a whole lot about those basses. No idea on the pedals. I usually stand fairly close to the sound board.

11. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Thanks for that, though!

12. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    I love Hot Snakes/ Jehu. Doe's anyone remember Gars old band Tanner? I love the bass on the song Guard Dog you can check it out on their myspace page http://www.myspace.com/tannerband