Hot songs for a bass, drums, keys trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by appler, Oct 17, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

I'm looking for some cool songs to cover for a bass, drums, and keys trio. We've done Ben Folds Five, and it was pretty cool. We're looking for something either really rockin or funky. Thanks for any help! (If there's a nother thread about this that I missed, please point me to it! I couldn't find much.)

Thanks again.
  2. Maybe some Emerson, Lake & Palmer. :cool:
  3. Try "4AM" off of Herbie Hancock's Mr. Hands album. Great tune...lot's of funk.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Stevie Wonder's "Supersticious" would work well with that three-piece setup. Also check out any of the Medeski, Martin, and Wood albums-they're a groove-jazz band with that setup.
  5. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    "Cissy Strut" by the Meters would probably work without guitar. In fact, that sounds kind of fun...
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was gonna suggest ELP, MM&W, & even The Meters!
    You guys are good!!

There is a trio version of "Superstition" by BB&A(Beck, Bogert, & Appice). IIRC, Stevie wrote the tune for Jeff Beck & then decided to release it before Beck.
    The point is you can arrange almost anything for the setup you have. Experiment.
  7. Anything off Elton John's 11/17/70 album.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Sugarcraft" from Medeski Martin and Wood's Combustication album. Herbie Hancock's "Fat Mama" is a pretty sweet one that could be done with that instrumentation too. It can be found on his Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros Recordings album.

Those are two very funky, grooving songs that I'd love to cover.

brad cook
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I like that one, too. "Wiggle Waggle", also.
    BTW, both can also be found on the single disc/original album, Fat Albert Rotunda. has it + Crossings(both albums comprise Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings).
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The first thing that popped in my head was "Loneliness" by Horslips... It’d work well as a trio, I think.
  11. If you've got a good Hammond sound, the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Loving."
  12. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Beverly Hills Cop theme.
  13. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Use Me Up - Bill Withers
  14. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Those are some badass songs!
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Edge of the World by Faith No More.
  16. u should def check out some songs on 'philadlphia expermint' Christian McBride on bass, Uri Caine on keys Amir Thompson from the Roots on drums. not really "rocking" but the grooves are REAL TIGHT

maybe u already know.. think this album is worth mentioning anyways..
  17. LOL, good one!

Actually, IMO, one of the best themes of all time (if not the best)