"hot string"?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HAWKINS, Mar 30, 2005.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    does anyone have problem with "hot" strings?

my E-string is definitely louder than the other, higher strings.....its not too noticeable when playing live, but when we record with field microphones, the notes on the E-string are almost too loud, whereas, the other strings are barely audible.....

is this a function of the bass?.....can it be correct with EQ on the amp or the digital recorder?.....passive vs active?

(i play a lakland 55-94, hartke 2115 combo mostly for stage, sansamp tech 21 through mixing board/PA.....i mike the amp for recordings)

any thoughts?
  2. Lower the pickups under the E string slightly
  3. Hey,
    I read somewhere that many many different basses have dominant strings, where 1 is louder than the rest. I dont think that it is purpose built, and most of the problem, i imagine, can be sorted out by dealing with the height of the pick ups, and the individual string action.

Apparently, Fender were one of the first companies to realise this, and their basses have no dominant string.

I had the same problem with my previous basses in one way or another(granted they were cheap basses), but I had a mate with a warwick about 10 years ago and he had the same problem.

I play a Fender now.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    thanks for the suggestion about lowering the pickup.....i'll try that