1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hot Tub

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My wife and I are thinking about selling our house because it's getting more and more difficult going up and down the stairs. We have an outdoor hot tub but it's been broken for some time so hasn't been used in years.

Should we get it fixed before we try to sell our house or would it be better to remove it?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Is it an easy fix? If it is, then I suggest getting it fixed and sell it along with the house. If it is not an easy fix, you're probably best to get rid of it (free on CL maybe) since any buyer will likey require it to be fixed or removed as part of the buying conditions. (IMO, YMMV)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Would you want to buy a house with a broken hot tub that hasn't been used in years? I think it would sort of move your home from "turn key" to "fixer upper" on some level.

It wouldn't scare me off, but it could for others.

-Mike

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Repair it and add a Time Machine function.

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Great film. But then so are all time travel films.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Time Bandits is great?

-Mike

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Remove it. Ask any real estate agent.....an aging love tub is nothing but a liability.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Er....yeah! :)

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
  10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Get rid of it. It's not worth fixing - trust me. I've fixed lots of 'em (what a PAIN IN THE ***!) and it'll be a money pit what with retro-fitting new stuff into the old plumbing and electrical setup. Then it will inevitably leak somewhere that's hard to get to because the plumbing has been jostled during the initial repair.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks guys. I was leaning on removing it but my wife thought that it'd help in the resale. We've lived in our house for over 20 years and have had the tub since 1996.

12. My brother got his free from a coworker. It is an 8 person tub. The shell is in pretty much perfect condition. It needed a heater and topside controls. We fixed it in a matter of hours for under $400.

You see tubs going for free on CL very often. Those people are fools, IMO. I was going to get one for my place, but they are mad expensive to heat (especially in the winter!). I'll just continue to use his! :D

13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Your brother is lucky!

Most broken down hot tubs need at least one pump.... Usually the heater element too. Sometimes an entire control system if it's really old (as in it has pneumatic controls rather than digital).

I'm not saying you can't get a good used hot tub, but just try to replace a motor in one that's been outside for ten years. The "shipping bolts" that hold the pump to the bottom of the cabinet will spin and and spin because the anchors are in plywood that has crumbled around them. So once you've cut the bolts off with a Dremel (a 4-inch grinder wont fit, usually), you pull the thing out, remove the faceplate, and find that the impeller is either stuck to the shaft or crumbles in your hands when you remove it (this is after you've waited a week for a special tool to hold the shaft at the back of the motor). Then when you try to remove the thru-bolts that hold the motor to the pump, they break off in the back-housing.

At this point, you need a whole pump because you can't get those parts anywhere.... And getting one that matches the orientation of the old one is approximate at the very best. Time to start cutting plumbing! But that's not the end. Once the new pump is in, you can now discover whatever else doesn't work! This will usually be the heater element because the previous owner let the pH stay below 7 for months at a time, so the metal has corroded and exposed the wire inside which has shorted-out to the housing. That's not so bad, but not cheap. Then, if there's a leak somewhere, well...................

Ugh. You can tell I sometimes hate my job.....:atoz:

[/End Rant]

14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I have an 8 person tub that I got last year and love it. To me if it's working it's a selling point, but to others it may be a detractor. Seeing a blank slab where a tub was won't be that attractive, but much more than a broken mosquito breeding box.

Fix it or get it out of there, imho.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I worked on hot tubs for about three years. Bloodhammer's story sounds all too familiar. But hey, they can be fixed and will last you a good while when cared for properly. With the older ones, there isn't much more to fix once you have a new motor, pump, and heater.

-Mike