1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hotel advice for Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by andysvec, Sep 27, 2010.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

finally taking our honeymoon (15 years late :)) and planning a trip from Guam to vegas soon, looking for some advice. I haven't been there in over 20 years, and the wife never.

Want to stay somewhere on the strip, any advice on good deals or any great experiences at a certain place?

Also, any 'must see' bands or cool hangs? I had PM'd Adrian a few times before he passed and he always told me about after hour jams or places with happening live bands that he was always involved in but I never made it til now.

thanks!

2. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Hotel advice for everywhere- Hotwire.com
    No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. More than once Ive stayed in a $300/night hotel for~100/night.
    Never been to Vegas. Have fun, don't go broke!

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    kayak.com

got two normally $200 dollar a night rooms for $79 each.

4. andysvec

cool, thanks for the booking info, never used hotwire and never heard of kayak.com but already checking everything out on both :) Just have to figure out which to stay at for a week, would like to be able to have the option to walk around a bit with some things within distance.

5. andysvec

now that I got the lowdown on how to book a vegas room for cheap, any advice on which one to stay at? Preferrably something near other things to do, it's just my wife and I so we'd like to do some shopping in the day, some drinking at night, check some shows/bands, etc.

6. We stayed a couple of nights at Caesar's Palace, as it's nice and central on the strip. I can't complain about the place at all, and the room was great.

After a jaunt to the Grand Canyon, we stayed one night in the Hard Rock Hotel. We had a suite in the newest part of the hotel, and it was amazing. However, the entertainment part of the hotel was horrendous. Full of 'the beautiful people' and posers. If it did cater for a Rock crowd, it was for a Nickelback/Maroon 5 audience. The memorabilia and guitars on display were cool but everything else... :rollno:

Still, it's your honeymoon, how much time do you really want to spend outside of your room? ;)

7. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I've stayed at the Bellagio and The Paris. Both are in excellent locations, but I prefered The Paris. The Bellagio was really, really, really nice, and had some phenomenal restaurants and shows. We saw "O," and I would go again, it was simply amazing. It also has an expensive, designer shopping area, which is really nice, just like the rest of the hotel. It is just across the street from Ceaser's, which has the largest and best shopping mall.

The next time we stayed at the Paris, and at first I thought it was going to be pretty lame, with the theme and all, but I really liked it, and felt like it had more to offer in the way of cafes, etc. It is across the street from the Bellagio, so it is also within walking distance from Ceasers. I mention this because Ceasers has a shopping mall that is stocked with more than just overpriced designer stores. It is large, interesting to walk through, and has shops for the regular people.

We went to the Rio one evening for a show, and I will say that it was a different world. Not as nice as the others, but it looked like it catered to a younger crowd with more options for partying. If I was 25, that is where I would probably want to stay at least once. I'd also like to stay at Ceasers Palace, as we always end up hanging out there for at least part of a day.

I'm going back for another convention next year and will be staying at the Wynn. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experiences there.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My wife and I have been to Vegas many times, and have stayed at a few places on the Strip, but we have come to enjoy Treasure Island the best. It's not the newest or fanciest place, but we always find the vibe to be comfortable for us (40+, married). We always manage to have great time at their main bar (Kahunaville) no matter what day of the week it is.

A few years ago, I took a trip with my bro-in-law to see Social D at the Mirage (we booked a room there, as well). On Sunday night, we found the Mirage's various night spots to be noticibly dead. We hopped a taxi to TI, and had a blast at Kahunaville the rest of the night.

9. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can't go wrong with any of the places at the new City Center development. There are 3 or 4 hotels, each catering to a different crowd. Also, tons of shopping and restaurants. It's pretty centrally located on the strip and is brand new.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Anything around the Bellagio is nice. The Mirage is right across the street, that's where I stayed last time i was there. It really wasn't anything extravagant, just a nice place to stay and do some casual gambling. The Wynn is right down the street, and HOLY CRAP that place is sweet! everything there is gorgeous, and it's got clubs up the wazoo.

11. Have you gone yet or is this something you're still looking into? I'm a 4 trip a year Vegas vet buy didn't want to type out a huge reply if you already went.

12. andysvec

not yet, but have everything booked. I'm doing 10 days in vegas before NAMM, used some of the advice here for online booking sites and hotel recommendations. Ended up getting a great deal for airfare and hotel (treasure island).

Still looking for some more ideas on things to do, places to see. I have a relative nearby that we may take an overnight trip to Grand Canyon with, and do the Hoover Dam, etc. But he probably won't partake in much of our nightlife festivities in town.

13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    If you have a free night you could check if you can get tickets for the "cirque du soleil".

14. andysvec

definitely want to check it out. I have one other vegas connection, sister of a close friend here and she sells tickets for the big shows that aren't sold out, something like a legal scalper? Anyway, I can get some tickets for cheap through her, just have to figure out which of the bigger shows are worth seeing. For me any of them are worth going to as living out here we're starved for pro entertainment.

15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'd recommend O, haven't seen it in person but the videos are pretty impressive (I've only seen Ovo and Allegria in person)

16. TI is a nice hotel, they just renovated all their rooms and they're a lot nicer. Be sure that you know before going that the price you paid with your package probably does not include TI's resort fee. I think with tax its like $20/day and can add up on you pretty quick if it wasnt something you were already expecting.
    If you're going to do Grand Canyon be sure to go to the South Rim, not the West. In order to do south you pretty much have to stay over night though, since its a good bit away.
    Re: Cirque shows. My personal favorite is LOVE, if you like the music of the Beatles its a no brainer. Completely awesome experience. O would be my 2nd choice, followed by Mystere, then Ka. I wouldnt recommend the other 3. The legal scalper person may work for a company like "Tix4Tonight" they sell leftover tickets still available on the day of the show. They dont offer all the shows, but they have a good group of them. Usually LOVE is amoung them. What kind of things are you looking to do in town?

17. andysvec

thanks for the input, LOVE sounds like a winner for sure.
    We're up for anything, want to see some shows and live bands. I'm not partial to any genre either, any good live music I can dig from country to jazz. Call me cheesy, but I'm even looking forward to seeing Steel Panther if they still are doing Sat nights at HOB as I'm a product of the 80's myself :bassist:

18. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
  19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Have fun!

20. andysvec

thanks Marshall! It's still two months out, I was gonna resurrect this thread once it was closer to see what the latest happening places were.

the cheapovegas.com website is great too, thanks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021