1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hothand pin layout

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nimu, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    hi there,

does anybody know the pinlayout of the hothand receiver or the hothand daisychain cable? it has 4 pins and so far i found out that pins are 5v, gnd, value of x-axis and y-axis but i do not know where is what.

basically i wanted to buy a source audio midi-exp but one the one hand it is not available at the moment and on the other hand it simply will not fit in my pedalboard which i want to keep the size it has.

my idea is to read the values of the hothand and translate them into midi which will allow me to send back to my bef-pro. this way i could trigger the frequency of the bef-pro which is not possible from the device itself.

i will try to do this with an arduino board, which is small enough to fit in my board.

so, again, if someone of you nice people out there knows how the pinlayout is, please let me know.

2. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    It's 3.3v. I measured that earlier. Yes the accelerometer in use can handle 5v fine, but depending on how the LED is hooked up, you might fry that if you power it with 5v (and there is some other circuitry in it as well, couldn't read the IC-number on those - so no knowledge about their voltage rating.)
    I had a list of the pin-out earlier... will try to find it.

If you do succeed, I'd be interested in seeing the results, as I too has an arduino and have been toying with the possibility of hooking it up with my SA pedals. (made a morph-LFO for the MWBD)

3. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    i already got mail from jeff. source audio really has THE great customer support! :hyper:

4. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Care to share? :)

5. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    Tip: +3.3V
    Ring 1: X-axis output
    Ring 2: Y-axis output
    Sleeve: Ground

The current needed is around 35mA.

The pin layout for the daisy chain
    cable is the same. The cable does not need power. If you're using one a
    Soundblox Pro pedal the sensor in jack does have 3.3v of power but the
    sensor our jack is passive.

6. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Cool :) I think that was my conclusion as well, but nice to have it verified. When you make the device make sure you remember that there is a bias to the zero-G voltage

7. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Please note that you will need to filter the Hot Hand raw signal to make is useful. The filter needs to have some control so you can adjust the sensativity.

8. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Woho I got mine working with arduino! I hadn't realized that the signal from the accelerometer was buffered so i assumed it had the internal resistance specified in the datasheet and only used a capacitor to filter the signal. Switched to a simple RC filter, Everything works perfectly now :D Now I just need to decide what to do with it ....

9. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    hej great to hear! i have not had the time to work on mine jet but i have the things laying around. would you be so nice and send me some info on how you filterer the signal, wiring, and even maybe some code?

looks like i have to have some soldering time next days.

have a nice day!

10. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Hi, yeah if I get some time later today I can put up some code and a schematic. Just used a simple RC low-pass filter with a 1.6Hz cutoff, single-pole. I used a breadboard for testing the idea. I'm a bit drunk atm. just came home and on my way to bed.
    By the way with the "hej" can I assume that you are Scandinavian, or was it simply a typo ;)?

Good Night

11. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    hi :) again. i am austrian. hope you are fine. i would love to get some schematics and samplecode!

12. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Oh yeah, sure! Sorry forgot it.
    Sample code is just the one shipped with the Arduino IDE, go to "File->Examples->Communication->Graph"
    You will need processing too, if you want to look at a graph instead of numbers.

This is the circuit I used. Build on a breadbard:
    HotHand.
    The values of R1 and C1 has to be so:
    2*1/(2*pi*R1*C1) < sample frequency.
    I picked 10k and 6.8u because that was what I had lying around, and 2.4Hz seemed reasonable.

This was just a test I did, to see if I could read the sensor at all. Since the HotHand signal is 0-3.3v and the DAC on the Arduino is 0-5V, the resolution is not used very well. This can be accounted for by using the AREF-pin.

Cheers from Denmark. And good luck :)

13. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    thank you for your kind answer. i was busy the last time but now i have time to get it going. could you explain how to use the aref pin?

my goal is simply to get the data from the hothand, sending it out to midi and then back into the source audio bef-pro. this way i can configure the befpro using this data for the frequency.

i already found out how to make a midi-out for the arduino. and i am looking forward to get this thing going.

have a nice day!

14. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Read this. Especially the part in bold (you don't want to fry the uProcessor: Arduino - AnalogReference
    I am not home at the moment, so I can't test anything.