Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hotrodded MIM Fender Jazz - $300 or OBO

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by JoeRules00, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Well, thanks to the new Essex, I'm just not playing on my Jazz anymore. It's a Black 1996 Mexican Jazz Bass with Rosewood Fretboard, with the pickups changed to Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups, the pickguard has been changed to a gorgeous pearloid pickguard, the bridge was swapped with a professionally installed G&L bridge, and even the knobs were changed to what I believe are the American Fender Knobs. The only ding or dent that I know of and is even somewhat noticable is on the neck, about the 2nd fret. The bass tipped over (thank YOU $7 guitar stand) and caught the end of a bed. Nothing all too bad, honestly. The coating of the neck was taken off in that spot, and the damage is only the width of a pen. I'll leave a pic of it below, along with two others. Unfortunately, my camera sucks.

Bass would be shipping out of Duncanville, TX (75137). The bass will ship in its a hard shell Fender case (if you'd like pics, I'll see what I can do). Remember, price is negotiable. I'd be up for trade suggestions, but I'm not interested in another J or P bass. I'd be willing to add money for a Lakland 55-01. Any other ideas, feel free to PM me. Thanks a bunch!

2. another picture

3. neck ding

4. Hey man, sounds and looks like a sweet ass bass... im from california would you take 200 plus s&h? thanks man, later, John

5. I really dont think I could go that low. 275 plus shipping perhaps?

6. Joerules00, if you meet me half way at 250 plus s&h you have yourself a deal...also, im kinda new at buying stuff online, how do i pay you? send a check or what?, do you have a paypal account?, thanks John

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

You actually like the Essex more than the Fender.

Please explain?:confused: :eek: :D

8. A few reasons, namely.

A) I'm a P-bass guy, hands down. I tried the Jazz, and liked it, but I'm in a hard rock band, and the P sound is just plenty more fitting.

B) Quarter Pounder Pickups. MAN OH MAN have these beefed up the P-bass sound.

C) I'm a SUCKER for a maple fretboard. I LOVE THEM.

The Jazz, in the right hands, I'm sure stomps a hole in the Essex. Those hands just aren't mine. However, I am looking at trying other types of basses. I'd love a Stingray or Sterling, that's the ultimate goal, but other basses are what I'm after in a trade. And seeing how I've got my P and don't care for the J, thats why I'm not interested in another P or J bass.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Makes sense. I hear ya.

It seems that your either a jazz man, or a P bass man. I didnt notice that the Essex was a P-bass.

Way off topic but do you think the Essex P is pretty close compared to the Fender standard p? I have thought about picking one up and dropping a Quarter Puounder in it.

10. Bass is sold!

For the record, its rare that I came across a P I truly liked at Mars or Guitar Center, but I like my Essex w/ QP as good as I liked a MIA I liked at Mars. Very good traditional P sound with great output.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I agree....and then some! Got a basic Essex P to my door new for 122 bucks. This bass, hands down kicks the tail of every MIM I have played. I am really liking this Essex and will be getting more soon. (Before they realize what kind of product they are distributing for the price and the price starts going up. i.e. Avatar Speakers)