1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hotrodding a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Feb 8, 2006.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I need some input here. I have a bass that has a VERY nice looking body but I'm not crazy about the neck and bridge. It's a $400 bass so it's not an el cheapo that I can just take a chance on. How do I know what bridge I should buy because I've heard a few horror stories of people changing bridges and then running out of room for intonating with the saddles and so forth. I don't want to have to realign the bridge or anything because I don't want to put any more holes in the body than absolutely necessary. Also...if I change out the neck do I just need to be concerned with the width of the neck pocket when looking for a new neck or what? I need to know the neck will fit the body w/o issue before I buy a new one. I'll probably sink $200+ dollars in the neck if I do this and don't want to have a neck that isn't gonna work.

Sorry for the ignorance on the matter. I'm something of a perfectionist and won't usually mod basses.

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    we'd need a lot more info.
    Well just what bass you're talking about really...

If it's a fender, or fender copy, you can swap in and out parts pretty darned easily, as that's most of what's on the market. If you're looking for a replacement 24 fret neck with the heel all the way at the 24th fret, I can tell you that it's easier to buy a new bass instead.

So what is it?

3. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    true...it's a Dillion. So it doesn't have direct replacement parts like a Fender might. The more I think about the hassle the more I think I'm just going to sell the bass. I admire project basses but I'm not a project bass kinda guy.