Hotrodding a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Feb 8, 2006.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I need some input here. I have a bass that has a VERY nice looking body but I'm not crazy about the neck and bridge. It's a $400 bass so it's not an el cheapo that I can just take a chance on. How do I know what bridge I should buy because I've heard a few horror stories of people changing bridges and then running out of room for intonating with the saddles and so forth. I don't want to have to realign the bridge or anything because I don't want to put any more holes in the body than absolutely necessary. Also...if I change out the neck do I just need to be concerned with the width of the neck pocket when looking for a new neck or what? I need to know the neck will fit the body w/o issue before I buy a new one. I'll probably sink $200+ dollars in the neck if I do this and don't want to have a neck that isn't gonna work.

Sorry for the ignorance on the matter. I'm something of a perfectionist and won't usually mod basses.
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    we'd need a lot more info.
    Well just what bass you're talking about really...

If it's a fender, or fender copy, you can swap in and out parts pretty darned easily, as that's most of what's on the market. If you're looking for a replacement 24 fret neck with the heel all the way at the 24th fret, I can tell you that it's easier to buy a new bass instead.

So what is it?
  3. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS's a Dillion. So it doesn't have direct replacement parts like a Fender might. The more I think about the hassle the more I think I'm just going to sell the bass. I admire project basses but I'm not a project bass kinda guy.