Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hotrodding the Stingray...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SurfLlama, Feb 24, 2006.

1. SurfLlama

SurfLlama

Feb 21, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hey Folkses!

I've got a 1998 Stingray 4 that I'm thinking about making a pup and preamp change on, and I wanted some opinions.

While I love the brightness of the stingray, sometimes I feel it's too tinny when you roll up the highs to let some stuff through. In fact sometimes I thing it's downright clicky.

So.. I'm toying with the idea of putting in a alnico pup. I know basslines makes one and supposedly the Nordstrand one is a darn close copy of a pre EB stingray pup.

I'm also thinking of adding a different on board preamp, I'm pretty intrigued by the Aguilar OBP-3, but I haven't played a bass with it installed.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree, and should I just fiddle with the pre-amp some more?

Thanks!
    Matt

2. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I have an SR5 with a Nordstrand and an OBP-3. It does it for me. Excellent combination. It's a bit difficult to compare it to the stock SR5 as I also have a Status Carbon Fibre Neck on it which gives a lot more clarity, attack and sustain.

I find the combination gives nice clear tone with just the right amount of growl.

3. SurfLlama

SurfLlama

Feb 21, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks for the input, I think I'm just gonna go for it.

I'm mainly just trying to take a little of the "claky-ness away from the high end. I'm finding that I"m getting lost in the mix a bit and if I roll on the mids and high any more, the tone gets tinny.

Thanks again.

4. I have literally just put in the Basslines alnico SMB-4A pup in my yammy.
    On first impressions, its a very smooth pup -- very nice. I haven't quite got everything finished yet, but so far - very pleased.
    The clarity is great, and no more tinny quacking like before - just a smooth - and moderately flexible sound.
    Hope it helps...
    smo

5. SurfLlama

SurfLlama

Feb 21, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Kind Sir..

I do believe you just convinced me to go for it. I think I'll start with the pickup and see how that goes, I am just looking for something that has a little fuller tone, highs that are fuller any not quacky

I've never been very happy with the stock pre-amp on the Stingray, and the Aguilar OBP does intrigue me, so I'll probably go that route as well eventually.

Thanks for your input!

Matt

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the Nordstrand. I had one in a Modulus Flea 5, which wasn't exactly the same as a Stingray, but it sounded very nice. I liked the combo enough that I was going to do the Nordstrand conversion in mine (but leave it passive) before I sold it.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just FYI, SR4 pickups have alnico magnets. The Nordstrand will probably sound different, as will be the Basslines... I personally liked the Basslines alnico 5 as a replacement for my former SR5s pup, but that actually was a ceramic to alnico switch.

You may wanna consider changing the preamp by itself... try running through an outboard Aguilar, Sadowsky, etc preamp and you may like the stock pup as-is!

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I never boost the highs on my rays for the reason you've expressed. Its just how they are ... I actually tend to back it off so that the pot just rests against the center detent rather than clicking into it, and that little tiny high cut rounds out the tone for me.

A basslines or nordy would be fun to try, but I like the stock sound.

9. Guys, a little help please.

I'm startying to get frustrated with my new ray, its a 2005 3-band with rosewood fretboard.

Thing is... I love the ray's natural tone for Slap. very powerful, nice string and clear highs, etc...

as far as fingerstyle goes, I pretty much Hate it... it seems to get lost in the mix, only leaving the "boom" behind... no definition. if I mess around with the highs and mids, I get that clacky sound you were talking about...

How do you guys eq your 3-band Stingrays?

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Flat, or backed off a tiny bit on mid and high. Or if I really want boom I'll push up the bass a bit. Doesn't need a lot of EQ.

Sounds like your amp is too "scooped". I suggest changing the EQ on your amp to get a good fingerstyle sound with the onboard EQ flat (more mids than you have it dialed for now), then for a slap sound you can cut the mids (or boost high and low) at the bass.

11. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Ya, you have a eq problem. I was going through that for a little bit, and then I decided I was being stupid, and basically kept my EQ flat. From there I just adjust a little bit per venue. I tend to boost my mids just a tad to get that extra punch, and the rest I do on the bass as my ear sees fit. (usually more low end being added or something).

Also onto the stingray. I have a lane poor MM pickup in my flea, it's a very nice pickup. Pretty versitile, great slap tone. Gets that real smooth deep motowny tone too (when eq'd right and play right). Not sure the bartolini preamp is the best for it (what i have now) but I'm happy, and to lazy to wire it.

12. I'm surprised by that! :eek:

Give a listen to one of the clips on the Music page at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=178887
    and tell me if that's the sound you hate...because that is a rosewood Stingray played mostly fingerstyle straight into the mixer

13. Nice chops ;)

around the 1:40 of spacey, you go from the high end to the low end in a quck phrase, and you can tell that the further into the low end you go, the harder it is to hear the notes... it all gets mumbled together... thats what i mean... with my jazz bass (that Im more used to) I get the same kind of clarity in E,A as I get from my D,G Strings.

Maybe the problem is my hearing, I dont know. :rolleyes:

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

15. ah ok I totally see what you mean now :cool: