Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Hotter" Fretless P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IrationStation, Mar 10, 2005.

1. IrationStation

IrationStation

Mar 10, 2005
    I recently bought a used '72 Fretless P-bass and love it. The ONLY thing is that overall tone, especially the low end, is lagging. I was looking at Bartolini's, EMG's, MEC's, Seymour Duncans, and don't know where to go. The local music store is a SeymourDuncan dealer, and they are trying to get me to buy the Steve Bailey Fretless model...

Any info/advice/words of wisdom on the subject would help.

Thanks

2. Jazster

Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    I owned a fretted 72 p a while ago. I replaced the stock pickup with a quater pounder and was happy with the overall sound. I'm playing a 71 jazz conversion now and just recently replaced the pu's with Bartolini's, still passive and I am very happy with the sound. I know the P ans J are two different creatures. I had to tweek the pu height a little to help with the low end but it tightend up just fine. There are a lot of pu's out there so take your time and reasearch, compare and then decide.