1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Hotter" Fretless P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IrationStation, Mar 10, 2005.

1. IrationStation

IrationStation

Mar 10, 2005
    I recently bought a used '72 Fretless P-bass and love it. The ONLY thing is that overall tone, especially the low end, is lagging. I was looking at Bartolini's, EMG's, MEC's, Seymour Duncans, and don't know where to go. The local music store is a SeymourDuncan dealer, and they are trying to get me to buy the Steve Bailey Fretless model...

Any info/advice/words of wisdom on the subject would help.

Thanks

2. Jazster

Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    I owned a fretted 72 p a while ago. I replaced the stock pickup with a quater pounder and was happy with the overall sound. I'm playing a 71 jazz conversion now and just recently replaced the pu's with Bartolini's, still passive and I am very happy with the sound. I know the P ans J are two different creatures. I had to tweek the pu height a little to help with the low end but it tightend up just fine. There are a lot of pu's out there so take your time and reasearch, compare and then decide.