Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hotter J bridge pup for my Hot Rod P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stupid Southpaw, Jun 13, 2003.

1. I've been looking at Seymour Duncan's site and the SPB-2 "Hot" J pickup might fight my needs, but I see that it has a different frequency response than a stock J pickup. Any user of said pickup cares to comment on that?

All I want is to have a better match for my P pickup while retaining classic J tone. As it is, the stock Fender J is too weak. Any suggestions?

2. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz (bridge) has 250mV output. Duncan classifies theirs as "High", so it's a crap shoot.

Unlike the Duncan, the Ultra Jazz is a hum-cancelling pickup by itself. It has two side-by-side coils that work similar to a Precision pickup, for cancelling hum.

Higher output pickups are "overwound" types, which typically increases the mids. I found this true with P-bass pickups, and it is not my cup of tea. Dunno about a J type in bridge position. But... if you solo the bridge pickup, there is a lot to be said for the Ultra Jazz hum cancelling feature. The magazines like the tone, as do many players here.

I have a set of DM Model J, but they are lower output than the Ultra Jazz.

3. Thanks for the input, that was most helpful. I would never have given a thought about Dimarzio, but I'll have to check that out. :bassist:

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I wouldn't F with it.

You're not going to find a J bridge PU that will match the output of the P in front.

There's not a lot of string excursions back there by the bridge and the coils of a J are much smaller then a P.

5. no dont fender with it too much
    the current mode is either J/MM or P/MM but that means routing..
    the P/J is a compromise and probably a good marketing trick..
    i have one and the J is pitiful and thin..its a stock fender as supplied on the californian series.
    i am just using P now...what a waste..
    two soapbars would be better.

6. Well, I can guarantee that I will F with it. I just ordered a SD SJB-2 and a Dimarzio Model J to try out. The humbucking Dimarzio sounds quite interesting. I'll post my impressions here.

7. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I've got a California P (97) and I don't think any P/J bass is capable of getting the "classic J" tone unless you mean soloed bridge pickup tone ala Jaco. If you mean Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee, it just isn't going to happen. The P and J interact in different ways than two J PUPs do. Victor Wooten has what I'd call classic P/J tone and it's lightyears apart from what Marcus has, so basically if you want classic Jazz tone, you need a jazz, preferebly one from the early 70's where the bridge PUP was closer to the bridge . . .

HTH

8. Well, obviously. I never EVER thought I could get a Jazz tone by mixing in the P pickup! I just want to be able to switch from the lone P pickup to the lone J pickup without having THAT MUCH of a volume difference. Also, the hum caused by the J is quite annoying. I haven't received the humbucking Dimarzio yet - can't wait try that.

9. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I'm not sure what PUPs come in the HR basses these days, but put the Fender Original Precision and Original Jazz in my California Special and honestly the difference in volume between one PUP or the other soloed is minimal. Obviously the P sounds thicker, but it isn't really louder. The hum when soloing the J is minimal as well. Could be the Gold pickguard shielding that better though, not sure.

10. I have a MIA P-Bass which I had routed for a J pickup and installed Seymour Duncan HOTS in both places. Bad move. The bass became too noisy for me and it seemed to lack some high end, although the bottom was huge. Right now I'm having the original P pickup reinstalled but with a Duncan reverse wound single coil at the bridge. I hope to cut down on the noise plus get back to a more original Fender kind of tone. I understand the reverse coil is the way Fender set up the Hot Rod so this may not be good advise for the original poster.

Also, in another P-J bass I have (Yamaha BB1000) I set the neck pickup much lower than the bridge to help compensate for the volume issue. It works. The key is to get 60% of the volume of your E string from the bridge pickup and 50% of the volume of your G string from the neck pickup. It's still doesn't solve the blended P-J "missing mid" problem but it's still a pretty good tone.

11. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002