Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hotter pickups for Fender Jazz Bass Special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigenough Al, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Bigenough Al

Bigenough Al

Sep 19, 2005
    This bass has the P & J pickups.
    Does anyone know if there is a hotter set up out there to replace these original pickups?
    Thanks!

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm here to tell you the stock pickups sound and record pretty well. If you must, I'd check SD or Rio Grandes...

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I am currently waiting for my second JBS to come in (just picked one up on eBay) which has stock pickups, so I don't really know how those sound yet.

However, I have SD Quarter Pounder's on my current one, and all I can say is that it's a beast. I bought this one used as well, and it came with the stock Jazz pup and Schaller on the P pup. Pots were dirty and jack was bad, so I gave the bass an overhaul pretty much as soon as I got it home, so I can't really speak for that particular combination (I recall it being very unbalanced though, but I honestly didn't give it a fair chance).

I also own a Stingray 4, and even though I love the sound of that one too, I keep grabbing the Special w/ Quarter pounders when I'm really feeling aggressive :bassist: