1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hottest... MTD... ever!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I really dig this bass. It's one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I love everything except for the pickup mounting screws.

Joe

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    hmmm. so whats the consensus on those pickup covers then???

:bag:

3. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct

I like very much :hyper: When is your Roscoe arriving????

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yo Poptart-

I'm driving down to pick it up next wednesday. It's 6 hrs roundtrip, but being able to pick it up when keith is there to do any last minute adjustments is worth it.

Oh, and I'm not a fan at all of those pickup covers on the MTD, hence the smarta$$ quip. I bet it would look smoking with standard DC covers though.

5. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Agreed - I was being uber sarcastic - although......

Great news on the Roscoe - can't wait too see some finished picys etc, have a great trip;)

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA

I like your description of the tone, but the look of the bass doesn't do it for me anyway. I love MT's basses, though.

Different strokes!

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    On the looks, I like the look of those wood covered Nordies, but I do still prefer the standard pickups with black covers. I also think the covers need to be more rounded on the edges, 'cause I use the pickup covers as thumbrests at times depending on what sound I'm going for, and I'd think they'd be very uncomfortable to put your thumb on. Also, to echo other thoughts here, generic rubber/plastic knobs do look out of place when you have wood pickup covers. This bass just BEGS for custom knobs!!

On the string alignment, I think it is mostly cosmetic, but easily resolved... one of the reasons TGS likes those A style bridges, is all their adjustment, and there's probably enough adjustment that you could easily center those strings if you wanted.

Finally, I may be in the vast minority on this one, but I just have never taken a liking to the buckeye tops. Don't know why, just have never liked them that much. Probably just the yellow/grey theme... not my thing.

8. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Agreed - I too use the pups as thumb rests and they look too sharp on these.

And a +1 on the mixed wood pups and knobs - IMO I done tastfully the combo look can be killer.

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    As I was photographing this bass, I said to myself: "self, people will give you slack for showing the bass with these odd, non-countersunk screws. You should wait two more days until the real screws are in..." To which I replied (to myself): "No, this bass is sooo slammin' people will still get it." Never again... :(

I should have re-photographed it with the real screws. The bad ones are throwing people a bit. The covers felt perfectly fine on that bass and looked 1000 times better with countersunk screws. Not everyone likes Maple covers but that's another story....

10. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    the wood is pretty cool, but the body style is boring and i dont' like the headstock

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wanna hear something funny? I didn't even notice the screws. :D

The bass is totally slammin'... the thing you can't forget is (at least my take on it is) that folks here are mostly not making unqualified comments... it's compared to other MTD's, not just other basses... that's a VERY high mark as you know, so folks are gonna' be SUPER nitpicky about DETAIL.

If the bass wasn't so killer, it wouldn't have sold so incredibly fast. :) Don't worry, TGS' reputation for making the "creme de la creme" every day business is untarnished!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    whatever...

the bass is farkin' ridonkulous. whoever gobbled it up is a lucky and smarter man than i who actually got a super high paying job to snatch it away from me.

13. bl0wmymind

bl0wmymind

Mar 6, 2006
    Croatia
    Simply incredible bass.....

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I think buckeye looks like vomit. I really don't care for it one bit.

15. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I would switch to playing 6-string if this bass was given to me..then I would have sex with it...lol

16. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    :eyebrow:

thanks for sharing......

Dave

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Anytime Bob, anytime! :D

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ewww...

19. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yup, it's a beautiful bass .... I can understand that some players don't care for the overall look, and that's cool. But for the people who like the look of the bass to be critical about the color of the pup covers, well, that's kinda like looking at a picture of Jennifer Aniston and saying, "Yeah, she's gorgeous, but man I don't like the buttons on her blouse" ...... ;)

20. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    I like the top, i like the Nordy's minus the screws, the only think i dislike about this otherwise awsome bass is the body shape. I never really liked the sharp pointy horn look. I prefer the round, organic and almost liquid look(if that makes any sense) just my 2.:smug: