hottest passive pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 16, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'd like to know in your opinion which is the hottest passive pickup with passive electronic you have tried.
  2. The DiMarzio Model J is a very hot pickup. Huge output. I've got a pair in my MIM Jazz, which I'm selling to get a custom Curbow Jazz, and I'm now leaning toward getting model J's in that bass.
    I've also got a pair of Kent Armstrong J pickups in my Reverend, and that bass has very strong output as well.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i forgot to post mine: the hottest passive pickups i have tried are the TB Plus ceramic magnet humbuckers of the gibson thunderbird.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For after market pickups, it would be DiMarzios.

For OEM pickups, the G&L humbuckers.

But keep in mind "hot" is not necssarily good. Tone is more important to me than output, after all if I need to be louder I can just turn up the amp.
  5. Good point, Brian.
    To follow up on my earlier comment about DiMarzios, I e-mailed the company and they said the Ultra Jazz has more output than the model J. I thought the opposite was true. So, FWIW, there it is.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Keep in mind that passive pickups require more windings to boost output. More windings in turn result in the loss of high-end response. There's a definite tradeoff between balanced tone and hot output.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i know, hot is not necessary good. but i'd like to know about hot pickups anyway...
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aero's are the hottest passives I've ever encountered. A lot of people asssume they're active.

Unfortunately, their cost is typically in another league compared to popular pups like Bartolini, Basslines, DiMarzio, EMG.
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I ain't tried `em (yet :D ), but I gotta' go with the DiMarzio X2N-B.
    They're still available according to the guy I emailed at D/M.
    He also said they fit a "standard humbucker route". Their guitar
    version (X2N) has an output of ~500mV.

If I wasn't savin' fer my R/A double, I'd snag this OLD Carvin
    off a' and stick a couple on it :)...

10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The hottest passive pickups I have ever tried would have to be the G&L MFD humbuckers. Unfortunetly, they are, as brianrost mentioned, OEM only.
  11. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Aero's are the hottest. I agree with you there Rick...I just recieved my custom Zon with Aero's and believe me they are very hot. Joe had to lower them because of the pull they were having on the strings. That is a sure sign of hot pickups.

And as far as tone there is nothing else better in my book. I have tried them all and this is the pickup I have been dreaming about. I like them so much that I am going to get another set for my other Zon.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

stroy - I tried a bass with them last week since we exchanged mail. Obviously the owner had them wired hot but they sure put out. He said he doesn't max the controls on the bass any longer.
  13. lister423

Jul 4, 2001
    Be very careful about the X2N-B. It's only as wide as a guitar HB and that should be fine for most true neck pickups, but your string spread at the mid or bridge positions will probably be too wide.

The four hottest I have heard, tried or owned:
    Gibson EB series neck HB
    Fender Tele Bass neck HB
    Seymour Duncan Hot Precision
    DiMarzio X2N-B
  14. Passive pickups don't have electronics.
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    some heads don't have brains
  16. a 'hotter' pickup has a 'warmer' sound(less top end response)...

Well, that's one useless piece of knowledge:D

And BTW, a assive pickup does have electronics in it. You are winding a CCC(Current Carrying Conductor) around a metal core, generating a magnetic field when current is passed through the windings. This is, yes, an electronical principle(and a Physics one too). Just because something doesn't have a computer chip in it does not mean it isn't electronical.