1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HotWire Basses, Germany?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Hi

Have not seen anything on here about HotWire basses - forgive me if my search was not complete enough but I wanted to give them honorable mention.

Just returned from a trip to Germany and I stopped in and visited the HotWire shop and spent some time with Bert Gerecht whose website is here:

http://hotwire-bass.com/

Check out the site, there is a wealth of info about a number of reasonably priced hand-made bass models, all of which are available in medium scale.

The basses are not sold in shops even in Germany but only available direct to customers, and he will build whatever you want. What I was personally excited about is that Bert - rather then shrinking the bodies slightly to make a medium scale neck look more aesthetically pleasing - and to shrink the neck pocket from 2.5" to 2.25" - he uses a standard 2.5"width full scale neck and just shortens it. I must say the basses play AND sound amazing and the prices are certainly reasonable.

I especially liked the "Blues Bass" which is medium scale as standard and features a Hofner floating bridge and tail piece:

[​IMG]

Deets here with some sound clips: http://hotwire-bass.com/462.html

Just passing along the info for those who may be interested.

Thanks to a fellow TB'er for the recommendation - but I also visited Station Music in Jettingen-Scheppach and I believe I saw the largest collection of Fender basses I have ever seen in one place. Admittedly, I don't make the rounds of the music stores very often, and I have no interest in long scale Fenders - but the collection was pretty sensational for those who may be interested.

It is here:

http://www.station-music.de/ Hit the bass tab and scroll down to Fender and click at the bottom of the Fender area.

Happy Bassing,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

2. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I know about HotWire because Kai Eckhardt had been using a Big Apple 5-string for the last decade or so and he had such an incredible sound with that bass. Yes, Kai is a great player and can make anything sound good, but since he's recently switched to a Peter Coura fiver his sound has clearly changed. So the bass was definitely part of what I was hearing. Of course, no knock on his Coura sound either :).

I've talked with the folks at HotWire online; a good experience, and I love some of their designs.

/rick

3. Same thing for me about Kai. $3500 for a jazz bass/clone ... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many options at a better pricepoint in the states. No thanks

4. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Ooooooold thread.

But what the heck. Have something to brag about (not mys skills as a player, unfortunately) so here goes: Have a Fender Jazz body mated to a Hotwire neck and the thing is just awesome.

Would heartily recommend Hotwire.

Thanks,

J