Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD Hotwire J Bass, 4 String - $850, USA BUYERS ONLY

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by boogiebass, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can read about this on the Hotwire Basses website. It's under CUSTOM and is called "The Midnite Special." Made in Germany.

This one's been around TB a few times, i.e. SMASH, davidwilson and myself. It's a very unique bass with an extremely narrow, fast neck and tiny frets. The preamp is quite versatile (Hardy-Kurandt, I believe). The addition of a passive tone control is a nice touch. Bass is quite light; around 7.5 lbs. on my digital bathroom scale.

I have a 6 lb. Hanewinckel 4 that suits me better, otherwise, I'd be hanging on to this. Price considerably cheaper than what's been offered before around here.

Comes in a Protec hard case and price includes shipping via UPS Ground in the mainland USA only. Paypal OK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    As a Hotwire bas owner I can testify that these basses are absolutely brilliant!

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks for the bump, Mark. It really is a nice bass, just not getting used by me. Hope someone who'll put it to good use grabs it! ;)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    She's been out there a week so if someone want this one, now's the time! ;)

Don't know if I'll seek alternate sales strategy if it doesn't sell here; might just keep it. But here's one more try.

Price is really rock-bottom, as is. :D

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    As one of this basses past owners, I can verify that this is a bada** bass.

Lightweight and great tone. Someone should grab this quickly!

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Are those Lane Poors p/ups?

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good question. Don't really know. They have Hotwire logos on them. Very clean and balanced sounding, whatever they are.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah I saw that, but you remember when Lane was doing Modulus basses with their own logo... I think that Fodera had some special logo'd made up for them as well.

9. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i am almost possitive that hotwire makes there own pickups...looking at there site i am in love

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Requited love is only $850 away! ;)

11. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    sorry my man if things were diferent for me i wouldn't hesitate for a second

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pending sale fell through. This is back on the block! :D

13. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    would you be interested in a G&L l2000 trade for it?

[​IMG]

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, but no. No trades, I'm way overloaded on basses and am only selling this, as explained above, because I have another lighter 4.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sale fell through. I've updated the pics to show a light scratch near the volume pot. This bass could use a good clean and polish but it's in good shape. I'm dropping the price to $850 and am including a hardshell case this time. Paypal is OK.

[​IMG]

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's a shot of the back, in the hard case:

[​IMG]

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This is not the first time that the sale of this bass has caught my attention, it looks like a great piece of work. Tonally, what is it like? 1960s J, '70s J, something else entirely?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks for your questions, Dan. I'd say it offers quite a bit of tonal variety and can sound traditional and modern as well as a few things in between! ;) The passive tone control when used in conjuction with the preamp set flat really does have a vintage J vibe. By EQ'ing for a more modern sound and boosting bass and treble, you can definitely get in slap-happy heaven. In all, it's quite versatile and entirely unique to play because of the neck.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm gonna give this one more week and then I guess I'll auction it elsewhere. Final go 'round here, if you're interested. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.