Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hotwire Midnite Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 13, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    glad you're digging it Carl, I just couldn't get comfortable with the neck with my big hands.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the nice review, Carl. This is kinda funny as I was wondering if anyone had one of the Hot Wire basses.

The other day I heard a cut on the radio from a band called Garaj Mahal so I did a search on the band as the bass player sounded killer. I found out that it was Kai Eckardt...no kidding, eh? So I find that Kai uses Hot Wire basses and he has a link on his website. I spent over an hour listening to the clips on the Hot Wire site.

I was kinda surprised that all the basses look like Fenders. It just seems that most of the builders in Germany have gone other directions on body shape. But they looked like really nice basses.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm impressed with this bass. While it looks Fenderish, it really has a unique vibe all its own!

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm more inclined toward a Fenderish bass anyway. And from the sound clips on the Hot Wire site and from Kai's tone on the Garaj Mahal material it sounds like a great bass.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, the narrow neck is no problem whatsoever for me. In fact, I rather like it. In general, I prefer narrow spacing and this one feels good. It sure makes for a fast "get-around" on multi-note passages! :cool: